Solo Performers

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by nickstmoritz, Aug 13, 2002.

1. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I work in duo and I am really picky about the sounds that I use...
    I got sick of lugging my Sound module rack around to gigs(i Have a few) So I bit the bullet about 2 Years ago and went Minidisc.
    Mix the Bass and drum to the left and everything else to the right. Gives Me a bit of Mix control and apart from one gig about 100kms from home, where my MD player decided to give TOC errors on all but one disc(have since fixed and carry a spare now) it has been reliable. I now run a 2 RU Sony MD player recorder...and the time that it has saved me in setup is fantastic.

I can now run my "big" lightshow at more gigs....but that's another thread

Dave
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2002
  2. Littleoldme123

Littleoldme123 New Member

i work in kareoke
  3. Will Power

Will Power Member

Dublin performer

Hi there, I work the Dublin scene as one man band (I dont actually play..shhhh) But I use a KORG i5s keyboard, and ive recently bought a wk2 midi aranger , the Korg is really fast ! You can store up to 25 files on 1 floppy. But the WK2 is fab you can store up to 2500 songs on this. I can also set it up in partitions, and when I open a folder, i.e just say im doing a set of 60's songs, I can put these in one folder and set it to play all songs in that folder, one after the other, no waiting !!
  4. jon-paul

jon-paul New Member

Solos

Yes i do the same mini disc rules for solo acts because it quick and reliable you could use a laptop though and run that through your PA it works well depending on your processor and ram
  5. AdamFoster

AdamFoster New Member

I'm tempted to get a basic performance keyboard, and then a laptop to keep the sounds/samples on
  6. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

I'm in a 2 piece guitar band (got a confession - I can't play keyboard at all) but I have a roland em55 - it takes the disks. so what we do is get a half decent midi file and use the bass, drums & anything else needed, (edited through cakewalk) then from the pc to floppy - then through the keyboard back to the pc - into cool edit pro (changing from midi to audio) then adding any guitars & harmonies needed - and then (as if that wasnt enough) recorded onto cd to record onto mini disk.

You might think its a round about way but the reason we do it that way is that the keyboard is a better sound than the sound card.

We get a very good sound that way and its easier to make a track when the bass & drums are already there, my alesis sr16 is lonely now LOL

btw
    cheers merlin for that dr hook song, appreciated it :)
  7. jackmarshal

jackmarshal New Member

when i perform solo i send stereo outs to 2 channel faders for music with the drum volumes set to zero. drum sounds are sent through midi out to an alesis dm-5 drum module where i have four separate outs configured with 1kik 2 snare 3&4 stereo kit
    this allows me to control drums separately on four more channel faders with 20 bit digital drum samples pretty complex but sounds very live
  8. D!NO

D!NO New Member

2 piece player here...I play korg i3 and other guy is on guitar...we keep midi tracks to a minimum...nothing worse than hearing a full orchestra while looking at two ould fella's..lol
    Tracks go on to mini disk, which is fast and reliable, and get any where up to 28 songs per disc..[dont have a proper stereo mixer, so it doesnt matter if the songs are recorded in mono to get extra space per disc]