Sonar 2.2XL and Roland VS880 sync

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by dysongs, Sep 14, 2003.

1. dysongs

dysongs New Member

I'm using a Roland VS880 sync'd to Sonar V2.2 using SMPTE or MTC. I can't get the PC to control the recording or playback on the 880. But I can use the 880 to achieve sync and control the PC!

This is strange becasue when I load the same file into Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (and make no different cable connections) it works absolutely perfectly!

Anyone else having a similar problem?:(
  2. jazzy_jay

jazzy_jay New Member

I could not get the last part of your question.But as far as i know, Sonar does not generate SMPTE/MTC it just accepts them.therfore it wont be able to act as a master device with the VS880.on the other hand the VS 880 does generate SMPTE/MTC so it can controll sonar and act as a master.i hope you get the idea.
  3. dysongs

dysongs New Member

Hi there Jazz,

Thanks for replying. The situation really has foxed me but I'm getting by with the VS880's transport controls starting the song off in sync with Sonar, i.e. pressing the Start button on the VS and provided all the settings have been made correctly in Sonar(MTC/SMPTE, device id etc, Trnasmit MMC, correct midi-out port etc) all seems to work fine if a little quirky!

But, and here is the ironic thing.... take EXACTLY the same file (which is a CakeWalk ProAudio file .wrk file) and load it into CWPA version9 and you can start the VS880 off from clicking on the Start button in Cakewalk which proves to me I have the correct configurations and settings on the rest of my gear.

Up until I changed to Sonar I'd always successfully used this method! Although I've changed to a dedicated midi interface (Midisport 8 x 8) STILL the same situation occurs with no go on Sonar but working perfectly in PA9

It's wierd. Tech support have said "it should work" and I've had plenty of dialogue with them. I even bought a new Dell PC because of the problem - still nothing. but I remember reading the review for Sonar 2 in a mag called Sound on Sound (big in the UK) mentioning sync didn't seem to work properly as an afterthought but gave no details.

I reckon that there IS a bug in Sonar 1 & 2 which isn't fixed in V2.1 nor V2.2.

I tried a version of Cubase VST and Cubase SX and both times midi sync was made from the PC. I think I'll have to wait for Sonar V3 to see if it has been fixed.

But thanks for the advice and for making me think things thru once again.

Kev
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  4. Lost tears

Lost tears New Member

Hello!!!

I have a Roland VS 880 digital workstation. I have never used it for recording into its hard drive even if it has all you need to record. I use it as a control surface for sonar connected with a midi interface. The problem is I cant get to use the stop play e.t.c buttons of the VS880 assigned to sonar. Instead, I have to assign other bttons in the tracks pane of VS880 for those. Does anyone know if that is possible?

I got a question: Does anybody know if it is possible to connect intruments to its inputs and then while recording in sonar it will record the different inputs in different tracks automaticly?
    The VS-880 has digital in and digital out. I dont have an audio interface. I connect my intruments to a simple mixer (features: AUX SEND, CTRL ROOM OUT, MAIN OUT, REC OUT, TK OUT) and from the MAIN OUT of the mixer directly to the pc input.

Thanks!!
  5. Lost tears

Lost tears New Member

Hey!!
    In sonar 7 you can open a file as the Roland VS-880. When you start a new project, a widow apears and you can chose a panel. I dont know if that hapens in Sonar 2.2 XXL but below are the help instructions. Maybe they will help you. I have never tried it though.

"You can use this Panel to control your Roland VS-880. The Panel will give you control of track arming in Input mode on the VS-880. You will have control over volume, pan, EQ, effects, and transport controls.

You will need to make the following changes to the VS-880. Set your Effect RTN to Aux if you wish to see the meters in SONAR. Under the System | MIDI set Ctrl Type to C.C.

You can now use this Panel effectively.

Use the Setup button to pick which Output and Base Track the VS-880 will use in SONAR.

To view the VS-880 meters in SONAR, press the MTR button and then press play on the Panel. The buttons above the transport controls are SONAR functions.

You can use the ID knob to set the Panel to the a same device ID as the VS-880.

The SEL and MSTR EDIT buttons are used to open Pop-Up Panels.

If you are running at lower video resolutions, you may have to scroll to see the entire Panel."

I have connected my VS 880 through midi interface but to use it as a control surface. I find it easier in Sonar. But I havent managed to assign the controls on the right half of of VS 880. (the play button, stop, the weel up on the right, e.t.c) Maybe you can help?

Thanks!!
  6. Lost tears

Lost tears New Member

Hello, I've been checking and I also found this on the web. Could be helpful.

"I have a VS880 and a Macintosh with SCSI. It is possible somehow to send audio data down the SCSI chain but I can't find anything about it in the manual. I think it was a function that Roland took out of the OS after a certain review. I have the OS that is apparently still capable of it but generally have
    no need to try.

If you have a Digital coaxial input on you PC then you could connection Digi out on the VS880 to Digi in on the PC. You would then have to transmit MTC in cakewalk at 30fps and send that donw the Midi chain to the VS, set the VS880 to 'External Sync'. This way you can start/stop the VS from cakewalk. You could then either play the all the tracks in stereo, or individually to rebuild the track in cakewalk. VS880's are excellent at syncing via MTC so long as you have the correct frame rate selected.

I don't have a digital in on my computer so when I need to do this I burn a CD on my Audio CD recorder and put the CD in the Macintosh and load that into the sequencer/editor maintaining the digital domain."
  7. chrissiver

chrissiver New Member