Sonar 3 or Home Studio 2004

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by OsiVIper, Jun 9, 2004.

1. OsiVIper

OsiVIper New Member

Ok i have Home Studio 2004, and im thinking of getting sonar 3, or should i not?

Is Sonar 3 Really worth Buying compared to HS2004?
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Well, to be honest, how would we know the answer to that question? You have given us absolutely no clues as to how you use midi, or what your level of competence is. You can go to www.cakewalk.com and compare the features of the different versions and make your own decision about this.

I can tell you this though - there's not that much more in Sonar 3 than HS2004, but there's one big jump in price. It will cost you $200 to upgrade to Sonar 3 Studio and $300 for the Producer edition. If you're not a registered user, then add a lot more to both these figures.

When comparing features, remember what they are costing you.
  3. doc1234

doc1234 New Member

If its basic midi editing, I'd stick with home studio. Its very rubust as is.
  4. wastedspace

wastedspace New Member

I don't think Sonar is worth thre price at all. IT all depends on what you want to do with your music. If you're riggig together TONS of gear, and putting in audio tracks and loops left and right, you may need the extra power of Sonar. If you aren't cutting professional demos and stuff and doing a high volume of it, stick to the home studio.
  5. songer

songer New Member

sonar is a good choice as well...
    but i'd rather stick to home producer...
    well it depends, sometimes you'll have to try the software first before you'll know which you prefer more...
    goodluck!
  6. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Actually Sonar 4 has come out now, and I would definatally recommend it over HomeStudio.
  7. dmonitto

dmonitto New Member

ive used the older sonar programs... and really liked em... but looking at the price differences... i would say stick with what you have, unless its limitations are really holding you back
  8. bathwater6

bathwater6 New Member

I'd go for cubase, have used it for years its great
  9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I don't think this is good advice for someone whio has already been through the learning curve of the Twelvetone product. Switching from (say) Home Studio to Sonar is not that difficult, but jumping to CuBase is whole different kettle of fish!

Both programs actually offer much the same feature set, but there are huge differences in the interfaces and it really would be a case of starting at the bottom of the ladder again.

You've used CuBase for years - how do you fancy a switch to Soanar after all that time?
  10. hockeyman200

hockeyman200 New Member

do these programs let u cut the music to the length that u want?
  11. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Well, yes you could use them for this, but it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a very small nut. You can download a freeware basic sequencer for this sort of thing.