Sound Blaster Live

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by jukebox604, Nov 12, 2002.

1. jukebox604

jukebox604 New Member

Hi I am just getting into MIDI play back and was curious what is the best sound card out there in the consumer market for play back?

Thanks.
  2. malsony

malsony New Member

i know that the pro guys are not using SB Live!, they use the more professional audio cards!

i am using SB Live! 5.1 bought in HongKong, i am chinese, living in Mainland China.

i think this SB Live! 5.1 is ok, i am content.

however, some friends of mine (producers in records companies) are using the very audio card SB Live! 5.1!
  3. Subwoofer

Subwoofer New Member

The soundblaster is very good for games.:)
  4. jo blo

jo blo New Member

soundblaster is ok for straight recording but that is all , if you want to play virtual synths you'll havt to go pro.
  5. Jobu

Jobu New Member

I use an old SBlive Mp3+ to monitor playing of miditracks in conjuction with free soundfonts (which are wave samples of instruments) I downloaded on the net. Beats the heck out of GM sounds and the $1k+ synth I used to use. I am sure there are better sounding solutions out there but i doubt I could get them at a price of < $80.

P.S. if you want a professional recording card I wouldnt suggest an SBlive, they are noisy. Another cheap solution without having to buy another sound card would be to try something like http://home.att.net/~audiocompositor/ with some free GM set soundfonts that can be downloaded from the net.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  6. hui4o

hui4o New Member

try soundblaster audigy.It's realy good for the money.Best money / quality balance.
  7. gazza_guitar

gazza_guitar New Member

try some of the yamaha xg cards verry good sound
  8. tripex

tripex New Member

The turtlebeach and TerraTec soundcards are very good. I've heard of a urtlebeach card, that has 256 midichannels and several studio equipment connectors like midi keyboard and 128 channel mixing panel connector.
  9. Layacy

Layacy New Member

Sound Blaster?!? What are you guys on? That is not to be used for the true pro audio musician. An Audiophile is probably the best bet depending on your studio, buddy. Go to a Guitar Center near you ( you will get ripped off though ) and talk to them about what you got and what would work best for you...believe me, it won't be any type of Sound Blaster!
  10. maia

maia New Member

I'm looking at a midiman 24/96, it's about the only one I can afford. I won't be recording any bands so don't need multiple inputs. It is comparitively cheap.
  11. ArK3R

ArK3R New Member

I'm using a poor mans soundcard (SBlive!) and not a day goes by that I wish i had spent a bit more money on something better!
    If you plan on using soft synths in real time than go for something capable of a half decent latency!
  12. seacruzinal

seacruzinal New Member

Soundblaster Audigy - - -well worth the extra money !
  13. lovehermadly

lovehermadly New Member

audigy!

Audigy for sure!! It rules, whether you get the mp3 one or the gamer one!!
  14. lovehermadly

lovehermadly New Member

professional??

Oh by the way, for professional uses such as recording you wanna get a great card like M-Audio or Ardvark!! Alot of $$$$$ though!!