sound card or module?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by chrismish, Mar 19, 2004.

1. chrismish

chrismish New Member

I'm in the process of recording my MIDI files for backing tracks and I want to up-grade the sound quality. Would it be better to get a new sound card or a sound module?? Can anyone recommend the best card or module for my application?
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Good question - not so easy to answer.

In general, most cards have fixed sounds and there's not too much you can do with them, whereas most hardware modules show a degree of flexibility. On the other hand, cards which have Soundfont capability are limited only by what Soundfonts you have access to - and this makes them very versatile.

However, you did say 'quality' and I would say that a good hardware module will beat a card anytime when that parmeter is included in the equation.
  3. chrismish

chrismish New Member

Thanks. I was leaning towards a module, but I thought I could get out cheap with a new card. However a decent card looks like it'll cost me between 200 and 400 whereas a module would be 400 to 600 which isn't that big a jump (ATC). I've seen some deals on the Roland XV-2020; any opinion on that?
  4. chasjules

chasjules New Member

Having tried both, there's nothing like a good quality 'hardware' synth for great sound
  5. geckormf

geckormf New Member

I've tried a lot of hardware and the XV2020 is great, but always end up using a mix of software samples and hardware sounds.
  6. merianne

merianne New Member

I would go with a 3rd party soft synth or Reason. I now use Reason and my sounds are better than ever!!!! Great synths, horns, drums.... Can't go wrong for a few hundred bucks.
  7. musikman1

musikman1 New Member

Depends on what sort of music you're doing.

If it's polyphony dense (65+ note) go with hardware. Less, you can try software..

I do full orchestra type stuff, and in one 4 beat measure I can have simultaneously:

Harp: 32ndT arpeggio (48 notes sustained)
    Pno: 32nd arpeggio (32 notes sustained)
    Bells: 16thT (24 notes)
    Vln: 16th note (16 notes x 4parts 64 notes)
    Vla: 16th note (16 notes x 4parts 64 notes)
    Clo: 16th note (16 notes x 4parts 64 notes)

There's 296 notes playing in the same 4 beats, and we have yet to add the brass (tpts, tbns, horns) and reeds (fl, picc, clar, ob, bsn). And then the cymbal, snare and timp rolls..

(This is an actual start of the Overture to Cinderella by Rodgers and Hammerstein)

Since I use many synths here to cover the polyphony, I've never had the occasion to use softsynths, but I would love to hear from someone out there in the softsynth user's world as to how much computing power it would take to play this sort of animal.. Be glad to provide a sample for you to play with!

Unfortunately for me, I'm ignorant to the features of the softsynths. I would think that triggering this many notes in virtual MIDI ports might take quite a bit of processing power, but as I said, I don't know..

I do know in hardware you have 0 latency over 70+ tracks, 32 MIDI channels, and this polyphony, which is why I prefer to work this way (hardware).

But, this isn't the "sermon from the mount," whatever works for YOU is the right answer. I just would love someone out there in the softsynth sector to try something like this out and let me know how well it works.

Rick
  8. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I like the module approach as the older modules like the JV880 and EMU Classic Keys can be purchased quite cheap.. I paid over £700 each for those modules when they came out. Old hat now as the JV has been upgraded probably to 3080 by now.