Sound Card

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by human_tree, Aug 18, 2002.

1. human_tree

human_tree New Member

Hello. I was wondering is a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 a good sound card? I just want a sound card that will give me good surround (good quality). Thanks...
  2. egrogsacul

egrogsacul New Member

Stay Away!

there are many better and cheaper alternatives, use anything by crystal dynamics, its better, and cheaper
  3. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

I have a SB Live 5.1 Platinum. It's not a bad card considering all the options it had and the bay mounted 'live drive'. However, it comes with annoying and cheesy software that just begs for an uninstall. Also, the card is very picking about IRQ sharing. It likes its own PCI slot unshared, or it'll conflict with the hardware sharing the same IRQ.
  4. chris2x

chris2x New Member

i'm using an SB live! and i'm quite happy with surround with it. as soon as i get enough money though, i will be saving up for a rig, and hopefully arm it with an Audigy... might be a little overkill, but i think it should be enough for the mean time.
  5. ljpettican

ljpettican New Member

I've been using a SB live for about 2years the front bay is great for plugging in external gear such as a Dat or MD player and also its handy having proper midi ports in the front of the machine saves fiddling round the back all the time. The sounds on the card are basic so i never use them. ok for gaming. however the analog to digital conversion is not bad which is important if your using cubase or other sequencing software
  6. cgkb

cgkb New Member

I'm using sound blaster live - you said that it's begging for an uninstall - what would you replace it with? Any suggestions
  7. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I use isis, but I don't use the gaming facility. Great sound card, I use it for recording, but it has a 'gamer fx' section with presets, etc, for games. 8 in 4 out patch bay, in,out,thru midi. Heaps of software, maybe a bit dearer than the previous cards mentioned, but you get what you pay for.
  8. MB2

MB2 New Member

I recently upgraded from the SB live to the Audigy ( or whatever the top of the line card SB carries is called, as I am at work and don't remember the exact name. I have (2) 20watt Advent speakers (with sub-woofer) on the front channel. On the rear channel I have a 200 watt receiver pushing (2) Bose 601 speakers that are rated for 250 watt each. Although it really rocks, I don't believe the extra cash I spent was worth it for the new card. The SB live is still my favorite.
  9. jon-paul

jon-paul New Member

I have an Audigy Platnum EX which is excelent expensive card though around the £250 mark but i have changed to an audio related studi card Digi 001 so my audigy is for sale only 3 mnths old £100 if anyone is interested.
  10. ChAoS Overlord

ChAoS Overlord New Member

When you have a creative soundcard, it would be wise to give Kx Project a try. You can find it here.
  11. blu303

blu303 New Member

Sound Blaster Live 5.1 is the 'as is' on most new pc's ive seen now.

I still think its ok
  12. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

if you had loads a money, (or saved for a year) what sound card would you use, whats the absolute top dogs nags sound card on the market at the moment? I use a sound blaster live value but saw some sound cards for a £grand in music mags.