Sound card

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by nienie, Dec 9, 2003.

1. nienie

nienie New Member

I would like to buy a new computer soon. Actually I would like to have a very good sound card too then. The problem is, I use the sound card as well for listening and editing MIDI's as listening to real music. I read somewhere here that a good MIDI sound card doesn't give good results for the sound of your MP3's. I wouldn't really like it if my MP3's would sound badly because of that. By the way, my computer is connected to my audio set and therefore connected to two sound boxes in my room, so that I have a nice stereo sound.

Has anyone a good idea for a good sound card?
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I highly recommend Sound Blaster Live!, Audigy, or Audigy2, for their SoundFont support. Read http://www.soundfont.com/tutorials.html for more information on SoundFont, or ask me specific questions.
  3. rumend

rumend New Member

I have a sound blaster live for mac and I am pretty unhappy cause it doesnt have drivers for MAC OSX... any advice?
  4. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I believe there was a separate model developed especially for the Macintosh. See if you can get your card traded in for one the Sound Blaster Live! Macintosh card.
  5. Javaman

Javaman New Member

I don't knoew about the Creative Audigy Card to be totally honest. I've got one and, although they bought a lot of the A3D technoloogy from Turtle Beach, my Turtle Beach Montego II card renders my Sta trek midi files with a much fuler orchestrakl sound.
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Heh heh, The Audigy has SoundFont support, which can give you the best sound possible after Gigafont. Look into it at http://www.soundfont.com/
  7. Graeme

Graeme New Member

The problem is that none of the Creative cards is very good at audio - although, if your interest is in MP3, this might not be an issue. OTOH, they do have the soundfaont awareness, which is extremely useful when it comes to midi work.

Personally, I have an SB Live for the soundfonts stuff and a proper card for the audio (a LynxOne). To my mind, this is the only pratical solution.