Sound Modules-program Changes

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by fredmarzin, Oct 30, 2004.

1. fredmarzin

fredmarzin New Member

When using Midi Sequences with Program Changes, how does one reset Sound Modules to accept new Program Changes in new sequences. Otherwise the Sound Modules adds the last Program Change to the current one.
    e.g Last change= 20. If the next sequence requests a program change of 40, the Module adds the 40 to the 20, giving the sound of 60 rather than the 40. I need to reset the module after every song or at the beginning of the new one.
    How does one do it.
  2. billkath

billkath New Member

You could out in a reset command-just before you out in the new CC command. Either via SysEx or try midi CC-121
  3. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi fredmarzin,

You're talking nonsense, sending a PC message does NOT add the value to the previous value. If you send a PC with value 3, the selected sound will be sound #3, and does not depend on the previous value !

However, it's a good practice to reset your module before you send PC and CC messages (or anything else). You may do so by sending a sysex message that resets your device. The sysex message depends on the protocol you're using.

For GM devices, the sysex message would be F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7. It switches the module in GM mode, resets some controller values (CC 07 = 100, CC 10 = 64, CC 11 = 127) and it centers the Pitch bender. PC's are set to &h0 (first sound of GM sound bank) on all channels.
    But for GM2, you'll have to use F0 7E 7F 09 03 F7 to switch the device to GM2 mode. Another sysex is used for a GS device, or an XG device. If your soundmodule is not compatible with any of these forementionned protocols, you'll have to check the manual for specific reset messages.

Using CC 121 will not reset the PC's of the device, only the CC's.

Kind regards,
    Alain
  4. musikman1

musikman1 New Member

Doesn't CC-123 reset all controllers? I usually insert that at the beginning of my seq's..
  5. fredmarzin

fredmarzin New Member

SOUND MODULE PROGRAM CHANGES

Thanks Guys. You've been a great help.
    Solved the problem.
    I have a Roland U220 Sound Module, and the previous owner changed the settings of the voices, which did not tie up with the program changes (GS Roland). When I changed program changes in the MIDI program I was getting different sounds to what should have been. When I checked the sounds of the module to the Roland standard, a couple where out by the difference. I assumed that they were adding Program changes rather than going to the required sound.
    I contacted a Roland Distributor in Australia and they sent me the Factory set up for the Sound Module and reset all the sounds to what they should have been. Now it's fine.

I will try the Control Change to reset as suggested