sound to midi program

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by zsnyder, Feb 8, 2004.

1. zsnyder

zsnyder New Member

Does anyone know of a program that can take a wav or mp3 and automatically convert it into a midi? Does such a thing exist?
  2. krelian

krelian New Member

I don't think there is any such program. Converting wav/mp3 to midi is difficult, if there was such a program, you might find it at download.com
  3. LizarD20

LizarD20 New Member

4. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Hohoho - have you actually tried using this software!!!!!

I refer you to my challenge - as yet unattempted by anyone - at http://board.midibuddy.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79583&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

zsnyder:

You can only convert a monophonic audio file to midi (and that with some difficulty). Once the file becomes polyphonic, there is no way on Earth it can be made to work.

Stop your search now, if you don't want to waste a lot of time and energy pursuing red herrings.
  5. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Midi to wav is ok bu anything more than monophonic to mid is impossible with modern technology today.
  6. jack3643

jack3643 New Member

The problem with converting audio to midi is the fact that the recording has all the tracks combined into one. The original was recorded to separate tracks but this isn't the best way to store the media for distribution.

Unfortunately, there is no current way to pull the audio file apart into it's components (instruments).

if the is only one sound, the audio to midi converters will work as they only have to process one track.

if they ever figure out a way to separate audio tracks in mp3, I wanna know too :D