Soundfonts

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by TBO, Nov 7, 2004.

1. TBO

TBO New Member

I'm new here and I was wondering what soundfonts were, and what they have to do with midis?

I have seen people talking about them on other sites and was wondering what all the fuss is about.

Thanks. :)
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

A SoundFont is the sound format created by Emu Systems for Creative Labs. Today, many soundcards support this format which also formed the basis for the classic downloadable Sounds format in Windows, such as GM.DLS (Microsoft GS S/W Synth). A SoundFont bank (*.sf2) can contain the information for any instrument and any drum set you can imagine. Each instrument contains a number of sampled sounds put together with synthesiser parameters such as envelopes, filters, etc. Essentially, you can use a SoundFont that contains audio of a cat's meow with any MIDI file set to read the patch at which the little critter is set within the bank. Before you can use them, they must be loaded into the sample memory of your SoundFont compatible audio card or a SF2-compatible software synthesiser. Ask away so I can fill in the gaps.
  3. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I liked the explanation on this page:

http://www.sonicimplants.com/supportsoundfonts.htm

:D