Standard Guitar vs. Bass for Accompaniment

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by kleinbergh, May 17, 2004.

1. kleinbergh

kleinbergh New Member

Maybe you guys can help me settle an "friendly" argument between my husband and I.

What is better for accompaniment of singing (like praise & worship) if you can have only one instrument - either a standard guitar or a bass?

My guess is that basses would be more difficult. I think an experienced bass player will be able to do a good job, but that a standard guitar will be easier to use under these circumstances.

My husband thinks it doesn't matter, both will be equally appropriate.

The two us however, do not play bass, so we can't really say and I've heard many guitars used for leading singing, but never a bass by itself. I have also seen people get by on a standard guitar only knowing the D, A, G and Em chords.

And while you're at helping me, what do you call guitars that is not bass without possible confusion between then - like saying e...well... guitar. This standard guitar thing doesn't do it for me.

PS. I would like to hear from as many people as possible, but bass players will be especially appreciated, since I am considering changing to bass, but do a lot of worship leading.
  2. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I think it depends on the song you are playing.

"Goodbye Cruel World" by Pink Floyd is a great example of singing with bass. To put guitar in there might take away from the song.

"More Than Words" by Extreme is a great example of singing with just a guitar. Put bass in there and you'd not have the same song at all.

Take each song, and think what would happen with the accompanying instrument.
  3. EdSpess

EdSpess New Member

When you refer to guitars other than bass it is traditional to nominate them as either rhythm guitar (which is what you would use to accompany singing,) or lead guitar, (which is the thing playing the piercing solos:))

As to accompanying singing with a bass guitar alone, I wouldn't bother.
  4. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

Use the K.I.S.S factor

Keep .. It .. Simple .. Silly........

If you play guitar .... stay guitar

There's nothing worse than playing wrong notes
    with goood intentions
  5. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Guitar is actually better for most.

You can create lead and rhythms, counter melodies and such using guitar, and keep it all pretty full.

Bass doesn't always have that full capability.

Wrong notes... good intentions....
    You've heard me play live haven't you?
  6. Rich_b

Rich_b Bass Cadet

Rhythm guitar is probably the better all rounder if you're only having one of those instruments. It's a fuller sound and generally easier if you also need to sing whilst playing it.

Bass on it's own might occasionally work for some songs with a predominent bass-line like Stand By Me or Brown Eyed Girl but you'd have to listen to the songs and judge for yourself.
  7. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

Does any of this make sense to you now
    ..kleinbergh ??
  8. Jo-

Jo- Soopa Doopa

Guitar, for the simple reason that playing chords will sound better on a guitar, than trying to play chords on a bass. Generally the bass is an acompanyment for a guitar.
  9. JayPlayer

JayPlayer New Member

Guitar. Bass is best when accompanied with a rhythm section...
  10. in2theshadow

in2theshadow New Member

The bass is the cement that holds the whole thing together a few have tried to lead guitarist but only Pastorius and Sheehna have really come close to putting together a lead role.

However with the advent of the 5 -6 string bass guitar who knows.
  11. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

I think a good acoustic guitar would be easier and sound better than a bass...

Dont churches usually have piano players?...