Starting a MIDI Band - Need Advice

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Pop Rocker, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Pop Rocker

Pop Rocker New Member

Hi, this is my first post here and I am farily new to this so that's why I'm asking the following.

I’m putting together a live two-piece with a female singer. She plays a little keyboard and has an older Roland xp-80 keyboard, but she may upgrade once we get going and make some money.

I play guitar and would be doing the editing of the MIDI files and I would be running the MIDI gear on stage.

We want to be flexible with the sound and we want to be able to control vocal effects, levels and patch changes and have them programmed into the MIDI files for each song that we will perform, so with that in mind, I guess we would best be served by using a laptop on stage.

What would you recommend as far as overall gear for this project and specifically, the laptop, the MIDI editing Software and anything else we should be looking at to get us out there gigging?

What would be the better way to go for creating the MIDI sounds? A sound module or Soft Syths loaded in the laptop?

What type of Software would be best suited for editing MIDI files?

I will not be creating my own Midi’s at this point, but I want to be able to edit them.

Thanks