Striping down midifiles.

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by pullmyfinga, Mar 27, 2006.

1. pullmyfinga

pullmyfinga New Member

Hey there ..

I have a good knowledge of midi ..

My Band uses a Miditemp MSX (www.miditemp.com) for our onstage backing, lighting and program changes.

We compose our backing under Cubase SX3 and then dump the midi data and a stereo paired wave file and sync the two together.

I find that, although you may disable tracks in cubase it will still send the tracks to the dumped file. I just want a really basic program I can open a midifile into and remove the trakcs I don't want and then save it with just the few tracks I wish to use, not altering those at all.

Any ideas? .. thanks guys!.

Brett
  2. KJB The Man

KJB The Man New Member

Er, usually, the sequencing program itself allows you to open MIDI files.

For instace, I use FL studio. In there you can import a MIDI and then totally delete certain tracks. Likewise, you can ADD tracks. Is that what you're asking?

Cause most programs do that from the start.
  3. pullmyfinga

pullmyfinga New Member

Hi .. thanks for your reply.

With cubase, if you mute the midi channels .. it will still export all the midi channel data ..

Let say a song has 16 midi tracks and I only want to export 3 .. the midifile will have 16 tracks, but only 3 with data and I chose to delete the other, to neaten it up a bit.

So, I want something basic I can open a midifile with 16 tracks .. choose 13 of them and instantly dump them ..

Cubase can't open or save a midifile as such .. you import then export .. if ya know what I mean.
  4. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

instead of muting the tracks you dont want, just delete them.

open the midi in cubase - select the 13 undesired tracks - press delete - save the midi. No?
  5. KJB The Man

KJB The Man New Member

voice-of-god's suggestion would be more useful than mine. I've never used cubase so I don't know. But it would seem that simple; just about all sequencers and midi-programs allow you to delete tracks. Have you tried looking in all the dropdown menus? You know, file, edit, view and all those? Usually delete options are in the edit, but I know you're no fool and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence; you more than likely know that.

I don't know what to say really; deleting tracks from MIDIs shouldn't be hard.
  6. pullmyfinga

pullmyfinga New Member

Yeh .. I know how to do that .. but I want the other midi tracks there later...

Thanks anyway .. but I don't think you understand what I'm really asking ..

Cheers,
    Brett
  7. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Seems pretty plain to me. Muting tracks in CuBase will not stop those tracks from being exported - the same thing will happen in Sonar or Cakewalk. If you really don't want the tracks in your end file, then your only practical solution is to delete them.

If you think you might need these tracks at some future date, import the original file, delete the unwanted tracks and save to a new filename. As a precaution, I would mark the original file as 'read only' just in case you push the wrong button and overwrite the original :) .
  8. KJB The Man

KJB The Man New Member

Exactly. What he's asking seems pretty straightforward. I'm almost 100% sure I know what he means as well.

We're not saying to mute the tracks, because muting won't prevent them from being exported. We're saying to actually delete the tracks. It's a standard option in almost all sequencers. Instead of muting, by deleting a track, it isn't there anymore so it can't show up in the final product. And if you don't want to harm the original, then do as Graeme said and save to a new file. But yea, we're saying delete, not mute. Two different things.
  9. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

agreed. Delete the tracks and save the file as a different name. So then you have both the original file with all tracks and then the second file with only the tracks you want.

would that work for you pullmyfinga? or is it something else ?