Stripping down bass body to natural finish.

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by BazzerX, Aug 3, 2004.

1. BazzerX

BazzerX New Member

I have a 1980's Fender Jazz bass special fitted with EMG P/J actives. I am going to get a new neck for it and also want to strip down the body to natural.

Has anyone here any tips on how to make a good job of the body?
    And don't say send it to a shop!
    Stripping off the paint would be fairly easy but I don't know a good way to go about laquering or varnishing it.

Varnishing with a brush would probably look crap?

Anybody who has done please post any helpful tips.

Cheerz.
    Baz.
  2. bwayda

bwayda New Member

I am doing a guitar myself

After you strip the body. It depends on what you want to do next. natural finish paint,, stain, color burst.

You will never get a pro finish unless you use a Sprayer[no brush]
    you may be able to rent one. Home Depot

After you paint you must use a polyurathane[wrong spelling] clear coat with a hardner addiative to protect the finish.
  3. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

best way to remove the old finish is by burning it off - paint strippers dont work, its plastic coated.

I've had excellent results in refinishing by using car paint aerosols, acrylic is the best, you can then get clear lacquor and will need about 20 - 30 coats of laquer. Very time consuming but well worth it, you must rub down with very light sandpaper between each coat to get a smooth finish.

Alternatively you can get plastic coating but its expensive and you need to practise using it or you'll have to burn it off and start again.

I recommend using acrylic aerosols, you dont need to take the body back to bare wood, in fact for a smoother finish its better not to, just rough it up with a rough sandpaper and apply a good undercoat then apply a good coat (or 6) of colour before lacquor. job done.
  4. bwayda

bwayda New Member

I guitar is getting airbrushed now

I have picks of the guitar painted white before it went to the airbrush place I can send them or post them if I can.

I had to do the body with a white base [1998 suburu]

Then clear it 3 coats for the airbrush guy to take it, when its done i have to clear it again within 3 days.

It looks great already
  5. besty

besty New Member

I would leave it how it is, even knicked and scratched they are worth more than when you take the paint off! Just my opinion. I suppose if you are never going to sell it it doesn't matter.
  6. bwayda

bwayda New Member

I would never do it a good guitar

The guitar I'm using for this project is an old roadstar II. Not much value but I't plays great I like the neck. I have all new pickups and hardware for it. It is more of a fun project.

i have a few strats and telecasters I will never touch them.

I agree if its a good one leave it alone. If you want to it to keep its value.