Synching Audio and Midi Live

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by WeNdeL, Jan 10, 2004.

1. WeNdeL

WeNdeL New Member

Here is my situation...

I do a lot of sequencing at home via ProTools and Reason. I use this sequenced audio to support my band's music in the studio. I would like to bring this element of the band to the live show.

I was wondering if you knew of a Minidisc device that has a midi out on it that would allow me to synch the playback of the audio files to a click machine attached to my drummer's headset..

Any ideas?
  2. davidk

davidk New Member

Just make a recording with the sound on one side and a click track on the other..I've done that with a few bands that I sequence songs for and it works fine...one side goes to mixing console and the other to the drummer's headphone amp...
    david
  3. WeNdeL

WeNdeL New Member

and give up having stereo audio?

no way man...
  4. davidk

davidk New Member

Well, it all depends how picky you are...so many things that are important in a recording situation, really go out the window when it comes to live anyway...The more elaborate things you want to do, the more money you're going to have to pay to find the gear to do it...I use a laptop to run my sequences live-and I'm using a unit made by Roland(Edirol) called a UA-700 USB Audio Interface...It allows me to run my sequences out of the laptop to my outboard midi gear, and also run 24 bit audio files in stereo as well:I use Cakewalk which allows mixed Audio and MIDI-so for example-bass, drums, and a few keyboard tracks via the midi out, and then a few audio tracks like a rhythm guitar, or a couple vocal tracks...
    There are a few other products out as well that will do similar things...I believe there's a product made by ZOOM, that's basically a hard disk recorder and a MIDI sequencer in one...hope this helps in some small way, and you solve your dilemna..
    david
  5. xskhaos04

xskhaos04 New Member

Hello

My band is just getting started, but we plan to do some midi live. We use a korg karma. With that we will be able to run a direct stereo output to the PA, as well as run an output to our drummers headphones with click track if he needs it.
  6. gebby

gebby Member

When I do live with midi I use a laptop, Cakewalk, and a MidiSport 8x8 that not only sends midi to my synths but changes all the patches in the TD-8 drums, Bass POD, and Digitech 2120 for guitar.
    I even let it run continuous controllers like wah so we don't have to even have think about using our feet and can concentrate on singing and playing.
  7. xskhaos04

xskhaos04 New Member

Midi Live

I don't think I would ever go that far. You loose some of the feeling already with using midi just for keyboard live, because you have to stay at a constant tempo. Your drummer is not able to pick up the tempo at heavier parts to give a more dramatic effect live. Running Wah automatically through midi just sounds crazy to me, but I guess if you can pull it off, more power to you!
  8. myddy

myddy New Member

I think it's a little bit harder than this...isn't it???Just....i don't know....do the way you want!!
  9. davidk

davidk New Member

hahahahahahaha...
    that's a new one "pick up the tempo for a more dramatic effect live"... If anything after playing in bands with sequenced tracks over the years, you soon find out which drummers can play to a click track effectively, and which can't...
    Not to mention, when i go out and see a band that's "all live", alot of drummers have no sense of meter...they're speeding up and slowing down all night...to me that's annoying, more than anything...just my opinion..
    david
  10. xskhaos04

xskhaos04 New Member

Meter

Ever heard of Phrasing David? Its only one of the most commonly used musical techniques, especially in classical music. If humans had perfect meter, every live band in the world would sound like a freakin rap CD thats been pre-sequenced. Try listening to say a Tool CD, and tell me that Danny Carey's got bad meter because he speeds up and slows down.
  11. kuerbo

kuerbo New Member

But you can have ritardando and accelerando in a midi file too, depends on how good you are at making sequences.
  12. Emusic

Emusic New Member

Use a small slider/mixer that the drummer operates. After the countin is done and the groove is on, he enables midi to go to the PA or whereever. Could be something as simple as a converter box or something. Hard to tell. Requires some reference to stay there for the drummer at all times, but there should be a solution.
    Cannot live with that?
    Bring a laptop and a cheap midimodule that delivers a constant click to the drummer. O coz you will need your main soundmodule to deliver the rest to the PA. Comes with all Midi error possibilities as well.
    Play by click and have fun :p
  13. desertsky

desertsky New Member

Im No whiz but possibly you could just record the music as a live audio track and then you could play it with any midi or click from your software. I use cakewalk, probably would require alot of power.