Tempo Adjustments?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by PENNY16161, Sep 3, 2004.

1. PENNY16161

PENNY16161 New Member

So, I have 2 midis for the same song - 1 at tempo=120 [Midi (a)], one at tempo=80 [Midi (b)]. I want to take part of (a) and import it into (b). Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe with the time signature in (a)? Or if there is a program that can help?

Let me know! Thanks!
  2. PENNY16161

PENNY16161 New Member

I forgot to mention that I cannot just simply import a track to the new tempo because it doesn't match up with the rest of the piece (vox don't match instruments).
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

In the sequencers I use (Cakewalk, WinJammer), you can copy a track from one sequence to another. In other words, load sequence a, select the track in question, hit ctrl-c, load sequence b, hit ctrl-v, or track->paste. The tempo never comes into question for me since the note on events are based on measure:tick values instead of time from beginning of sequence (the sequencer is doing the time interpolation behind the scenes).

I'm assuming you've already tried this. What happens? What sequencer are you using?
  4. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

look at the score... DO the measures line up for the entire song? Perhaps one was recorded "double time" compared to the other and a meter-signature (Time signature like 2/4, 4/4) change will do it....

I'd also suggest C/P in 2-4 measure blocks noting WHEN the two lines diverge... it may just be that a transition was done differently between the 2 midis and that most of the merge can be accomplished this way... start with the beginning of the main melody rather than the introduction- another likelihood is that the prep measures (before the music begins) were handled differently....

Or you could post the MIDIs and let us geeks take a stab at it..... ;)....
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  5. PENNY16161

PENNY16161 New Member

Zel, I've tried cutting and pasting from one sequence to another and while then, yes, the tempos match up, the problem is that the vocal track which I am transporting does not line up properly with the music that is in the base sequence.

Jeannie, everything you said said after your first "..." is over my head. LOL. So I'm going to post the midis. I want to transport the vocal tracks (track #s 4 and 5) from the seqence attached to this post to the rest of the sequence in the following post. See if you can work anything out.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. PENNY16161

PENNY16161 New Member

And here's the base sequence. If you're not familiar with the song, it's Guns N' Roses Madagascar; one of the new GnR songs - I'll hook you up with an mp3 if you need it.

Attached Files:

7. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

I think its impossible man. The ONE (as in 1, 2, 3, 4) on madagascar is not consistently in the same place. Its getting slightly behind the beat on every count of 4. So, as the timing for the melody is counting out 1, 2, 3, 4, the bar numbers on the midi arent in time with that. Its out of sync. Weird.

I hope you understood that ?

So you cant transform it to fit in with the other midi, without moving each note by hand. If it was exactly half the speed or exactly double I could have done it.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  8. PENNY16161

PENNY16161 New Member

Sucks. That's what I figured. Thanks for looking though!
  9. ZelRiptha

I might be able to do some good with WinJammer - it has some nice global track editing features that might help... give me a day or two to get around to it. :)
  10. PENNY16161

PENNY16161 New Member

Awesome! See what you can do...
  11. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi,

It's not that difficult to repair the synch. of this track. You've probably recorded this sequence with two sequencers that were not synchronized.

you need to check what difference there is between the sequencers timing, and the songs timing (calculate the ratio). Afterwards, you may use the Cubase logical editor to divide the note timing and the note lenght by the calculated ratio.

Well, to make things a bit easier, i've already done it for you. Took me only 5 minutes ;-)
    Importing the tracks from sequence 1 to sequence 2 should work like a charm now.

Kind regards,
    Alain

PS: check some notes on their lenght. Your original sequence contains a few faulty notes...

Attached Files:

12. ZelRiptha

Well, Alain beat me to it. Nice work, mate!
  13. PENNY16161

PENNY16161 New Member

Great job man. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. I didn't sequence either of those, I had found them on the net and wanted to merge them.