The best program for doing music.. editing.. singing..cuting.. effects. and much more

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by jo787, Sep 11, 2003.

1. jo787

jo787 New Member

2. ultimatelink

ultimatelink New Member

SONAR 3 is out soon, will that be any competetition? I have Sonar 2 and Cubasis VST 4, how do they rate?
  3. jmortega

jmortega New Member

What about Cakewalk? How does it compare with Cakewalk?
  4. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I use Cubase 5 VST with Sampletank, Halion and T Racks. works brilliant and recording vocals/guitar through SB Audigy card. All these work well.
  5. powder66

powder66 New Member

yes adobe audition is coool..but i would still use sonar because of loops
  6. tenken368

tenken368 New Member

Yea. its great!
  7. romantiker4

romantiker4 New Member

the sharewareeditor goldwave is a very cool programm it supports various different audio format and you can test it for free
  8. VenagE

VenagE All that Jelly , No ToasT

cool edit pro 2 .. all the way , not too much turntable mixing just mix paste ... :( but still is aight
  9. Zeus

Zeus New Member

hi, i have Studio4. It's very very great. You can edit MIDI-Files.
  10. linkinparkee

linkinparkee New Member

i love cool edit pro 2!!! its all i have ever used and nothing else has come close.
  11. tryffan

tryffan New Member

I'll add my vote for CEP / Adobe Audition. I have tried out a bunch of programs. Love the interface of this one.
  12. MrSartorial

MrSartorial New Member

Are there any Cubase users out there. I have it already and I'm thinking it might be nice to have a support group
    :p
  13. rstanger

rstanger New Member

I'm a Cubase user from Atari St's golden age... nice beuty punky times
  14. wtuo

wtuo New Member

i stay true to the oldies...
    Cubasis AV!
  15. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Although I'd agree that Adobe's Audition - which used to be CoolEdit Pro, before Syntrillium was bought out by Adobe - is a really good bit of software and remarkable 'bang for the buck', I have to say I'm surprised at so many people here - in a midi forum - are singing its praises when it has virtually no midi capability to speak of.

It will play a midi file, but you can't sequence within the program and neither can you directly render a midi file, except by jumping through a few audio hoops. If you import a midi file and play it alongside some audio stuff, it sounds great - until you go to mixdown, at which point all the midi vanishes.

I'm not knocking it, I use CEP every day and I would hate to be without it, but it really isn't much use to people involved in midi productions.
  16. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Nope, but people with MIDI talents may also be interested in digital audio recording, hence the forum. I use Cakewalk for MIDI editing, Vienna 3.2 for SoundFont compiling, and CEP2.0 for what goes into the SoundFont banks. That is where Cool Edit is useful for my MIDI.
  17. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I use this program every day of my life, but rarely when I'm involved in midi work. Most modern midi sequencers have audio capability - Cakewalk, CuBase, Logic, et al - and it's actually a lot easier to use their inbuilt audio features than trying to sync CEP/AA with them.

I can see where it might have some use for building soundfont loops, but I wonder how many users get that involved?

I do take your point, but I was still a little surprised at the support CEP/AA was getting.
  18. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Ah, CEP/AA is a GREAT program. I, too, use it every day of my life. However, I do not use it to build loops. I reduce hiss, hard limit, stretch, etc. Basically, I use it to restore and improve the quality of samples. There is a form of looping I wish I could do with ease under CEP, but I can not figure it out for that purpose. What I do is set two end points to make the audio within repeat forward infinitely, to decay a sample. I have been using ModPlug Tracker for this need, but I hate constantly switching applications in my work. Do you know how to set the loop points I (rather obscurely) speak of in CEP?
  19. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Being essentially lazy, plus not having the time to play around with such things, I don't use CEP/AA for creating Soundfont loops (my use is related to audio restoration work). Where Soundfonts are concerned, I'm quite happy to use stuff created by others. The sort of music I play doesn't lend itself to loop-based production either, so I'm not that well up on looping as a subject.

I'm also not quite sure, from your description, of what it is you are failing to achieve in CEP/AA, so I'm going to have to take a bit of a punt at it here. If I've got the wrong idea, then feel free to correct me.

It seems to me, there are three essential parts to any loop (as used in a Soundfont). The attack, the sustain and the decay. What you need to do is retain the attack (which largely defines many instruments) and the decay, but increase the length of the sustained portion? To do this, you have to loop the 'centre' section of the sample.

Some of this is covered in the help file under "Loop Creation and Basic Looping Techniques", the important part being where it talks about ".... your loop "handle" that you can click on and drag across your multitrack window. When you drag the handle, the loop is "painted" across the track, causing it to loop as many times as you like".

Obviously, you need to find the correct points for the beginning and end of the loop, so that you 'can't hear the join', but that's a given in any editing exercise. In CEP/AA, cutting points are easy to determine in Edit View.

Using this technique to increase the length of the sustain and subsquently splicing on the attack and decay portions of the original sample would seem to be how it's done.

However, what I know about looping could be written on a postage stamp with a very large nib, so I may have the wrong end of the stick altogether.
  20. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Haha, don't worry. You do have quite close to the right Idea in this paragraph:

What I am trying to find is a program that will quite efficiently (or even automatically) find two loop points that will not click or pop when played back, e.g. play through and through again fluidly, as if there was no definite loop point. ModPlug Tracker is the closest thing I have found that will do this for me, with semi-intelligent x-cross matching with the originally defined point. Try it yourself if you must, it is free and now open source.