The Definition of The Sequencer's Guild...

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by theARTiSAN, Jul 9, 2003.

1. vondownsonfreid

vondownsonfreid New Member

Self or sell....

I thought the idea was to crawl before we walk? If we sell to another site to be posted it would get our feet wet (and make money) while the logistics of having our own licence (cost and other expenditures) could be worked out.

The benefit to that is that the Guild would have immediate response (on a pre-existing website) and the sequencer would make their 50% right away - that's some incentive!

When the time comes to start our own site, we break free of, say, the TopList Team (they rremove our midis from their site) and we are off and running:thumbsup:

Ronny: I don't any of us are out to do anything illegal. Multi-million dollar lawsuits don't exactly start my day off with bang (unless it involves shooting the poor bugger who serves you at your door with the papers!)

The Joz: With such a diverse group, it will be hard to miss anything that's Top 40 and personal favourites. If we want to make money, we cover: 1.) What's popular
    2.) What's requested
    3.) What's unique/previously unavailable
    4.) Niche files......
    As far as niche files, leave that to your own discretion. Personally, I will concentrate on the Canadian market - only because finding a midi for a Canuck band is near impossible. I would do this along with contributing to the other three areas (popular/requested/unique) but ultimately be known for my "niche".

Enough for now,

downsie
  2. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

Well, I guess whatever money made from such a venture could be put into becoming the next pro site? I mean, if everyone here contributes x amount of MIDI's...we'd all get some money personally, then the rest can go towards the license for our site? Then we just go from there...?

Downsie:
    Yeah, I guess that's not too much of problem, I suppose....however, it all depends. If people are only requesting hip-hop and the like, then it's going to be very hard for me to fill anything, since I can't stand the stuff, and don't listen to it....*shrug*

I guess if/when we get involved is when we need to worry about who does what, etc.
  3. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

This is all good stuff, good research Ronny!

I wonder just what exactly do we have to do to make our own site legal though.

Is it a license?

What is the dollar amount of purchasing this license?

What are the precise steps we need to take in order to set up a pro(legal) midi site?

Lets all find this out if we can, then we can decide whether we can do it or not(ask around/research/ search the net everyone and find out what you can)

My view is still to make our own site for these reasons -

* we will get more than 50% profit
    * we will sell our files at a better price than the big pro sites, which will hopefully result in more sales
    * its more fun coz its ours

While we find out what we need to do, I urge everyone to start getting together their files so we actually have some files to sell, no use having a midi site with no midis.

Keep sequencing or get some of your older sequences ready/organized and if you havent got any files, start sequencing now!
  4. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

Yeah, I'd like to know those specs too..I mean, a license might be expensive, but once again, I hearken back to the idea of chipping in for things..

I'd be more than willing to pay some dough if it means our own site..

You can bet my LP Midis will be up there...along with some other tracks I plan on doing in the near future...yeah...
  5. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod