*** The next Project ****

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theARTiSAN, Sep 6, 2002.

1. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Note from your Super Mod...
    *aaaah*
    :: props feet up on desk w/hands behind head & big stupid grin ::

Well guys, we went from conception to reality on this one. :thumbsup:
    :: browsing the MIDI HUB ::

While we have the momentum going, what do we feel like accomplishing now?
    What's next on the 'ole agenda?
  2. advancedflea

advancedflea Nude bodyprint maker

Adveriseing it to dedcicated members and actually getting them to use it
  3. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

might be time to write a vB hack to stop junk posting...
    the only problem would be interfacing it into a dictionary....leme think about that one for a cpl of days

Dave
  4. advancedflea

advancedflea Nude bodyprint maker

ok dave, lemme put an expasion pack onto that Idea. I suggested to TPEARL that as a deterrent against " 5 post wonders" we get a thing going that means to download a file you have to have done 5 posts AND have been a memeber for a cerytain time (like 14 days or something) It will save against ppl doing what someone has done to me in a thread where I am after a song. they have told me that they know it, but there up to there 5th post so they have got the file they wanted and vanished
  5. Gandalf

Gandalf MIDI Sorcerer

Do we charge MB cash for downloads????

If not, why not.

Just an idea
  6. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

like $5 a song or somthing....
    not a bad idea.....BUT i think we would have a high incidence of junk posting...people trying to get their money so they can continue to download songs...

just my thoughts

Dave

:: splits from last BIG Idea ::
  7. theARTiSAN

Dave's right - I think we'd end up back at square 1 with that Gandalf. A cool idea though.
  8. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

All of these are good ideas!!

flea, I think the day limit thing would just piss people off. I can do it with certain features. (like the custom user title and the avatars) but I can't figure out how to do it with downloads.

I do agree about advertising and getting a better and more targeted audience. Next time I use some advertising $ will be in Oct. Last time I used overture and it seemed to work very well!

Gandolf! I like your idea! I think this is dooable. This way we could have 5 posts to download + $10-$15 a song. This way if they want more than 2 songs they would have to post more. (The minimal for 5 posts is $25) This would also make a lot more sense and encourge more posting!! Gandolf, you rawk! :thumbsup:
  9. theARTiSAN

John - you don't think this will cause problems with new(er) members posting a ton of garbage (above their 5 posts) just to be able to mass download as much as they can in a short amount of time?

Like I said before Gandalf, I like the idea - only pause is that the 5 post before downloading causes lots of junk traffic, I'm simply concerned that (post generated) MB cash driven downloading will cause more harm than good.

:: Pauses for Drama ::

:laugh2: Not like most of the regular posters would have to worry too much about the cash :: peeking over at my 4450$ ::
    As long as I can afford my losing lotto tickets every week - I'm happy :thumbsup:
  10. Gandalf

Gandalf MIDI Sorcerer

Yeah!. I hear what you guys are saying....

I was trying to adopt the attitude and consider the needs of the 5PW (5-post-wonder). They've probably got to 'MidiBuddy' after searching for a particular song in Yahoo.com or something.

They'd have a string of links showing from the search.

They'd want to get the song downloaded from whatever site they could with as little hassle as possible. They'd probably want to get several versions, 'cos they know that some versions are sure to be crap. They'd hang around in the sites which give them the downloads that they want most easily.

So... firstly, our 5-posting rule, has got to be a pain for them, but they're hanging in there and playing the game. Well, they've registered and read some postings and made 5 replies. They've seen enough of the site to discover that it's a better invention than sliced bread, and they've probably added us to their favourites for next time.

BUT... next time, they pay a visit, they just get what they want and disappear. No need to contribute anymore. Note..... I bet you the 5PW are coming back, but without contributing. This is an IMPORTANT POINT, I think.

If it costs them MB cash to download, then "YES", they'll have to post more. Maybe on future visits, they'll be more likely to make real contributions. One thing is for sure; as things are, they definitely won't; they'll continue to be leeches and voyeurs.

Here's another thought for TPEARL5.... can we accumulate # logins, # MIDI uploads, and other potentially useful stats on a user-by-user basis. Maybe this would maybe be of use in assessing user commitment for a variety of issues (thinking of MidiHub here), but also for the above issue.

Also, I harp back to the MB cash credit for posting 'crap'. Since all postings must be checked anyway, either delete the crap or else, apply the MB cash credit to the individual posting rather than the user. That way, 5$ could be the default, but it could be set to 0$ by the moderator.

I'm probably getting far too involved with this. Sorry, I'm a software developer/systems analyst by profession, so what do you expect?

Hope you find my contribution helpful and I've earned my 5MB cash.

Cheers
  11. Gandalf

Gandalf MIDI Sorcerer

Thinking abour ART's original question at the start of this thread...

Anybody want to give me some good ideas for software to write?...

Maybe somebody has identified some utilitiy which would be really great but isnt available yet and hopefully is marketable. I want to make some money!

Probably not... but let me know if you can think of something.
  12. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

artisan, if we charged per song, yeh, we might get some more junk posting, but this would be regulated. There's a hack that'll check for junk posts that I found. I think I mentioned it before... it won't count a post as a post depending on how it's set. (3 characters or less, or random characters, ect..) It doesn't inderface with a dictionary, however it will deduct $ if they junk post.

I think charging MB $ for files will also eliminate 5PW and encourage newer members to become more of a part of the community. But yeh, older members wouldn't have to worry about the $ it would cost to download attachments. Since there isn't much a newer member can do with $100 this would give them a good reason to use it and continue posting. (I was also thinking of putting in a hack that charges for smilies... which I might just look into and see how similar the coding is to what we would need to charge for attachments)

Gandolf, the only problem is, there isn't a hack available that will do this for us, and I'm not fluent with PHP or mySQL. Are you?? You're more than welcome to take a look at the scripting that runs the board. Mainly the store... I know it would require adding a couple more entries to the store tables and running more queries for the attachments. As far as software, no I don't have any ideas, but maybe you can help with my C++ homework! :laugh:
  13. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

Tpearl5 hmmm Charging for smilies. I think it sucks but if you must change most of the vb code so atleast we can use emoticons it'll just be text but still won't piss off users.

Gandalf I kinda have an idea, but I was wondering there is currently no program that could change fan speed from the computer only from switches and I don't want to go to Radio Shack and soder my own controller. I'm not sure if it's possible to script something that would control fans only thru existing hardware including fan speed.

Yeah paying per song isn't a bad idea I like it as long as my money supply holds up and keep winning in the lottery, and theartisan's game holds up. :D . I was looking at the top 25 posters on this board and i think the bottom of the list was 30 or so posts. The only thing i'm concerned with is that we might even lose the 5PW. Believe me I was one of them, note I said was, I love this place :D . 5PW might recommend Midibuddy to their friends saying it's a great place to get midi's just get pass the 5 posts and midi downloads galore. Paying per song must be executed perfectly or it'll blow up in our faces. The $ amount can't be too high or too low. Too high will induce junk posting first of all and deter prospective members.

One more thing is it possible to make the lottery only avaliable to members with a certain amount of posts. It looks to me WiLd ThAnG Z006 has disappeared, Theartisan could use that extra money or even some other loyal users. It could be like choosing an aviator, the way it's set up now the more post one have the better looking your aviator can be. I'm working up to my 100th post because I have an aviator already made :D . I want to be the third one having a custom aviator.

Back to paying for smilies I've used 3. And say each one has the same price of $5. hmm $15, that would cause a dent in any wallet. I say I still hate the idea but it's better than emoticons : D. See my point.
  14. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

Gandalf, I'll see what you could script. I'll think of something that's marketable.
  15. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

how about a utility to convert .SNG Files to .MID :D :D :D

Dave
  16. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

How about 3 strikes and your out. 3 junkposts and that user is outta there! No reaching 5 posts, No free midis. You had your chance but you stuffed it. NO SOUP FOR YOU!(like in seinfeld)

Can you do a program for that? This would work.

Even if someone did trash 3 times, got banned, and came back(using an alias) It would make them think about what they are going to post. May even convert them from a 5 poster to a stayer.

Also 3 requests in a row and your out.(coz they might just do 5 requests, the sneaky buggers.)

What do you think?
  17. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

If I am on the boards (which seems to be about 18 hours a day L8LE) the likelyhood of them beingable to post 5 in a row That i can't find fault with (they never or rarely read the announcements) is pretty slim...so they don't ususally get the chance to download. The only prob i have is if they junkl post in another form and Mr admin or super mod aren't around to catch them. We still need some sort of scripting in place to take care of that. Maybe we should make the request forum moderated??? No posts go up until they have been approved...

At least until the masses can get it right.

also If they junk post in any New songs threads, even though the post there are moderated...they still get their MB cash straight up... is there any way to stop that???

Dave
  18. Gandalf

Gandalf MIDI Sorcerer

Hi Tpearl5.
    Love to help out with your homework, but I hate C++. As for my particular poison, I use VB. I'm afraid I've never even seen PHP or mySQL. Having said that, I once drastically modified a C program without ever having seen C before (and it worked). I think there was some heavenly intervention on that occasion. I don't mind having a look at the relevant code modules, but I suspect I won't be able to make any headway with it.

KingXII,
    I don't think we should be too worried about losing the 5PW, and recommendations to friends who also become 5PWs.

LostDave
    Thankyou so much for your suggestion "how about a utility to convert .SNG Files to .MID". :hit: Consider yourself slapped!

;)

Overall, it seems we have a lot of ideas flying around with some varied views. I had the impression that when decisions were made, they could be implemented, but it seems that this is may not be the case. So, perhaps it's time to ask what is possible.
  19. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

5PW!

I was wondering if there was any way in which you could regulate new members to a maximun number of posts in one day say 3 or 4 posts. That way moderators would have time to see their new posts and if they're crap posts posted for the sake of downloading we could just delete them. Send them an email telling them so.

Also I honestly don't think it would be a good idea to charge for smilies. They lift the whole image of the page and individual posts. I think people who aspire to a "company car" won't use them.