The Sequencers Guild Forum

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by theARTiSAN, Jul 8, 2003.

1. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Hey Guys - here is the Private Forum for Guild Discussions.
    I thought it would be a better Idea than trying to cram 500 ideas and topics into the original Thread.

Only Guild Members and All MidiBuddy Staff Members have access to this Forum.

Enjoy!
  2. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Excellent :: taps finger tips together ::
  3. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

so, should we start a file Dave?
  4. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

This really is a great idea ... but everything needs guidelines ... so where to start?
  5. theARTiSAN

6. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Some random thoughts:

Although the sequencer's guild would be contrary to my MIDI needs (which are... ummmm... that MIDI be free) I will certainly do what I can to help practicing musicians make their livelihood..... (and hopefully I'll get favors in return ;)... MIDI favors that is!!!:eek: ) sooooo...

Set up the guild as a mini corporation of sorts.... you can have a board of directors and shareholders... contributing musicians could be the shareholders-of-sorts.... shares can be bought with submissions to the Guild.

Have artists create files which the Guild would then sell to pro-sites keeping a little of the $ for the betterment of the cause - the cause being, perhaps, an eventual store of its (the Guild's) own (copyright lawyer's fees, site fees, etc).... When the process starts to turn a profit there could be be profit sharing among Guild members. Benefits? Eh, I've never sold a file to a pro site so perhaps those are better mused-upon by someone else! The CEO can be whoever wants to buy the first file from the first submitter in hopes of resale (kidding!! But there will need to be a little cash upfront to get this rolling.... and some negotiating with the pro-sites).

Some other ideas.....
    Co-writing is not only allowed but encouraged - however - the co-writers need to sign some sort of Guild-standardized contract so that bad-faith issues are backed up in writing adn don;t become the downfall of the guild (think self-sequenced forum).

There should be a 'voluntary tweaking' forum where sequencers can learn from others' files and/or help them along on a totally voluntary basis... no agreement, no cash... so if you feel like you're gonna give someone major help ask for an agreement first - if they turn you down at the outset then go sequence something else ;)
  7. theARTiSAN

That's a damn fine idea - - like I said before, there are lots of directions this can go...
    I like that!
    What's everyone else think?
  8. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

I don't mind the co-writing idea, but as long as people don't start a-bitchin because of it..(credit issues, if it ever comes down to monetary disputes, etc.) then it can be encouraged...however, there might be guys like me, who while not totally against the idea of co-sequencing, prefer to pump out tunes as a solo act. I mean, it's not that I don't like other people, or anything, but I don't have to worry about someone else's demands/requests/inability to work, and can follow my own pace, at my own leisure...

Don't know any real logistics here, but what's the possibility of this becoming a "pro site" as it is? Not MB itself, but this Guild becoming one? And why would we need to negotiate with someone else?
  9. vondownsonfreid

vondownsonfreid New Member

Yesss!!!

First, thanks to Artisan for allowing me to slip in here, almost unnoticed.
    Next...
    jeaniesing has some excellent points to ponder. While I've never been more disappointed than when I have to submit to buying a file because of time limitations or plain frustration, I love the MB because it's free.
    Obviously, something like this can't be accomplished without guidelines, especially co-working and, er - uh- mmm - profit sharing.
    I never thought of selling to pro-sites first, but it seems reasonable that you have to crawl before you can walk.
    How hard would we market this work and where or to who?
    Never forget the idea that midi files are sketchy territories that we would get lost in without the proper legalities in force for copyrights.
    Ooooh, man! I'm still wicked excited about this.

downsie
  10. voice of god

Joz - I totally agree with everything you said there

Downsie - yes exactly, guidelines for co-working and profit sharing. Maybe the sequencer's that worked on a particular file together could arrange between themselves the % they each deserve, it may change from file to file.

Jeanie - very interesting kinda like those ideas especially about the co-writing and helping each other sequence, but I dont like the idea of selling to the pro sites, I want US to be the pro site.

The shares thing could get complicated but I agree with the board of directors thing(although I dont like the name). I think it is kind of necessary.

I think we should be very honest about this, if we are going to have our own site, there will need to be someone or more than one person running the site. (I had envisioned Art to have a major role in this as he is very knowledgable with that kind of stuff and doesnt get much time to sequence). So since we are going to make money, whoever it is that is maintaining the site deserves a cut. And you may say that we could all maintain the site, but then what happens when someone is doing more than someone else? right. I think it is necessary to appoint someone or a (board of directors) to maintain the site, that way they know their job and sequencers can get on with sequencing and theres no confusion.

I think we would need to split the profits like this -

Everytime a midi is sold

- a % goes to the cost of running the site incl. copyright costs
    - another % goes to the person/s maintaining the site
    - remaining % goes to the sequencer/s

to me this seems the most simple and honest way. But again it is just an idea
  11. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

Sounds like a fair idea to me, if it's feasible...

What about a split cost to get the site started? I mean, if 20 (or so?) people put in a few bucks...that's one less cost to worry about...

I mean, if we start selling alot of sequences, then we could probably make a decent amount out of them. There are probably millions of songs waiting to be sequenced...so..
  12. vondownsonfreid

vondownsonfreid New Member

Ditto.....

I pretty much have to quote voice of god's post.

Obviously this isn't a get rich quick scheme. If we portion the money, like he suggests, then everything should look after it self - in time.

I think we can all agree that working as a group like this from all over the globe depends a lot on honesty and integrity. I get the feeling from the short time I've been on the board that everybody involved in this Guild is genuine and sincere. But that could just mean I'm highly gullible too.....

JoZ's note has a good point too... up front money might just make us all a little more accountable while at the same time providing for some much needed resources.

Sorry for reiterating what's already been said, but some of the points being made are starting to really make sense in the context of what the Guild could become, based on where it came from - good people (with a nack for producing some kick ass sequences!).

downsie
  13. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

Hey guys .. have been away/busy and have not added much ...

but are we losing momentum ... maybe we could add some files we could all start to work on ...
  14. voice of god

yeah we lost momentum alright, lets jus start to work on some files for fun, we can keep them for just guild members for now and decide what to do later

maybe the selling them to hittrax thing aint such a bad idea or maybe when the pay MB cash for midis comes in we could call ourselves the MB Sequencer's Guild and sell our files for MB cash

anyways the point is - LETS CO-SEQUENCE A FILE OR TWO

first file please step this way -

http://board.midibuddy.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72804

:thumbsup: