The "Smilie" Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by theARTiSAN, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

It's just like any other type of animation(if your doing an animated smile that is) You need to make each frame individually and then put them all together with some prog. AS3 is nice for doing that. then you can also set delays and other stuff too
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Some more detail? I don't have those exact programs.... but here's a generic method.
    1. in your photo or drawing program select "new" - it should prompt you for a size - choose 60 pixels (not inches) by 60 pixels
    2. find a paintbrush or pen tool and draw a pretty picture
    3. save that picture under some name like "smilie001.gif"
    4. use the copy/paste, erase, and or paint tools to change that picture slightly (a part of the picture should move about 10-15 pixels in any direction, even less if you want smoother animation)
    5. save that picture as "smilie002" (or whatever)
    6. when you have several frames saved - open your animation program.... if there is a "wizard" feature available use it to import your pictures, if not find the button that will allow you to "add a frame" and add all of your pictures
    7. you should be able to watch a rough copy of the animation in this program now.... there're some things you can do to make it better - changing order of pictures, changing the time between frames, making it transparent, "optimizing" to make the file size smaller.... experiment, but save under different names at several stages along the way this first time, it allows you to correct mistakes easily!
    BTW You may find that the file is too big for MIDIBuddy anyway and have to delete frames from the middle to load it... Good Luck!

S.B.T.'s statistics (just for example): She has 37 frames set at 15/100th of a second intervals. Because she repeats motions at the beginning - 2 pictures made up 6 frames, because she holds her hand in the air for a longer time - I inserted the same picture 3 times... and I prefer gifs that "loop" so there is no discernable flash from one picture to another when it hits the beginning/ending....

D*mn.... there I go being an educator again.... its like a disease!
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2002
  3. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

artist thats a winner! :D
  4. Artistdude88

Artistdude88 The Insomniac Artist

i need summore ideas.....hmmmmmmmm.....maybe...........nah........i want to draw sumthin but i dunno what to draw!!! gRrRrRr :mad:
  5. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

We've got not quite 1 more day until the entries booth closes and we switch over to voting :D

Think about all the things we regularly discuss around here - some of the inside jokes we have...
    I'd like to see anyone's interpretation of a wah titty smilie :laugh:
    Keep em coming, we're almost finished.
    Next on the agenda will be a MIDIbuddy theme midi file contest :thumbsup:
  6. Raven

Raven New Member

I can't wait til voting starts, but how will we decide voting, a poll, a voice vote. Will everyone get one vote? Will we have an electoral college? Questions that need answers
  7. jeaniesing

What time tomorrow will we be switching over to polls? I wanna do another one (gotta good idea), but don'know if I have time!
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2002
  8. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

I should switch it over in the morning - but I'll be busy.
    So it will be about an hour & 1/2 later than this time tomorrow.

I'll set it up on a one-vote poll, like I have in the past... The poll feature has an option for multiple votes that is not working right now - maybe in the future we'll be able to vote for our favorite 3...
  9. jeaniesing

YipeeeEEEEEE.... Maybe I'll get another try at this!
  10. jeaniesing

Here's another...... One more to go! :)
  11. jeaniesing

My last chance for glory and MB!
  12. Raven

Raven New Member

nice ones jeaniesing
  13. Artistdude88

i made it transparent and made it slower...so i guess this is my final entry :thumbsup:
  14. Raven

Raven New Member

That smilie expresses my feelings about waiting around for this contest to end and voting to begin....a week has been a really long time
  15. Artistdude88

waitting for a contest to end or not...a week is always long 4 me....cos of the prison for teens.....*cough*school*cough* :mad:
  16. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

lol
  17. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

Jeanie you kickass! Thanks for the info. You shall be recieving my vote 4 sure. Love that pat on the back one.

I also like the yawn one. I'd like to think I can claim some credit for that:rolleyes:

Actually all of the smilies are pretty damn good. What a talented bunch you are.

Hope the winning smilies get added to the list, so we can express some new emotions towards each other. Would be kinda like expanding our vocabulary or consciousness. Wow!

It's evolution BABBBBYYYYYY! (go Eddy)
  18. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

i hope tpearl would use a few of the smilies
  19. Raven

Raven New Member

You think that he would, if they look nice
  20. jeaniesing

Thanks V.O.G..... but y'all are the ones who kickass! You shoulda seen the kids at school clamoring over all the new stuff I brought to karaoke day today! Had a girl sing "Black Velvet" that woulda put you all on your knees.... and they're salivating over the Avril Lavigne stuff...... Thanks everybody for making the board what it is!