This is driving me crazy!!!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ey yi yi, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

I keep getting this stupid popup for a thing called "Adsquash". I've done everything I can think of to get it to stop popping up. I have an anti-ad program already and this is seeming more and more like an annoying AD under the cover of a stupid website/program. I have no P2P or anything else on my computer that causes ads. Anyone had problems with this too? Know how to fix it?
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Is it one of those windows messenger popups....??? try doing the cntrl+alt+del things when it pops up sometime and see if there is a program running that might be causing it... A google search on 'adsquash' produces nothing :(
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Never heard of it, but I bet anything I can help you get rid of it. Post a HijackThis log as I had requested from your other thread, and we'll see if there are any nasty background processes to be removed.
  4. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

It's rather ironic how the things that are being advatised in the popups are the very things that will remove the popups. :rolleyes:
  5. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Do you have Windows XP or 2000 with the messenger service enabled? I've never heard of that pop up so I am wondering if they are just using that windows service to advertise.
  6. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

You could try disconnecting from the internet and see if that fixes the problem.
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

That wouldn't accomplish much. More than anything, I'd expect it to result in more errors than before.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  8. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Yup, but if the ads are being loaded from some web site then it would seem that not being connected to the internet would prevent them from appearing, unless the ads are already on the machine. But I agree that it doesn't really help since you wouldn't be able to access the internet.
  9. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

Let's see,

I uninstalled windows messenger with a nifty little program. I can't stand WM. I have chat programs but never open them. This has only happened recently. I've emptied my temp folder and it makes the page go away, but it comes back a couple of days later. I've tried blocking the website and that hasn't helped. Google doesn't have anything for adsquash (I searched in order to try to figure out how to get rid of the stupid thing). Don't go to it cause you'll never get rid of it, but it has a website of www.adsquash.com.

Tons of questions here...

Oh, and the last time I tried to use Hijackthis, the program kept freezing up. I tried downloading it several times but it never worked right.
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

The quickest way to remove the advertisement other than using HijackThis is by RegEdit, and perhaps you should get someone experienced to do the following for you if you're uncomfortable with using the windows utility.

Access this key...
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects

...And delete the corresponding BHO that produces the advertisement.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  11. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

To add to Zandro's post, you can start the Registry Editor by clicking Start -> Run...

Now type "regedit" and click OK.
    The registry editor opens and you can navigate the "keys" Zandro mentioned like you would normal directories (folders) on your hard disk.
  12. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Just be careful, I stress as much as anyone else who speaks of it online. (*shrugs*) If you delete an incorrect key, the operating system will result in a variable amount of instability depending on what you delete, but enough with the dispellation of common sense.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  13. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Yeah, be *VERY* careful about what you do in the registry, you can totally mess up your computer by changing the seemingly tiniest thing, making your computer unbootable.
  14. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

Ok, this is what keeps popping up.

I have edited regestry before. I do actually know quite a bit about computers. This is just driving me nuts because I can't get rid of the stupid thing no matter what I do. I cannot possibly be the only one having problems with this.

And I know I'm not dillusional because of the screen cap.

Attached Files:

15. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

16. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Perhaps you have a trojan hidden away somewhere. I have found Bazooka Scanner to be a nifty little gadget that keeps a database of solutions to rare infections. It does not actually clean them out, but instead directs you to a page with instructions how to remove them yourself. Download it for free from http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/

Good luck with it.
  17. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Have you done a scan with a spyware-away program such as Ad-Aware?
  18. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

:laugh:... I searched "adsquash" before.... this time I searced "ad squash" and although there are no results that help... the results that pop up are fun! :)
  19. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

20. kim_eh

kim_eh Gratified

:laugh: Only you, only you...