Tips with writing lyrics?

Discussion in 'Lyrics' started by BlackHawk, May 30, 2003.

1. BlackHawk

BlackHawk New Member

I'm usually just a composer, just composing random tunes that have no lyrics to speak of, but lately, I've started writing more lyrical melody lines that I think would go well with someone singing over them.

The problem is that I don't know the first thing about how to write any lyrics! I can sing, and I can compose, but I can't write the words!! So... does anyone here have any tips that they can give me, on writing lyrics?

Your tips would really help me, as I would really like to try my hand at writing some songs. I figure the more I'll practice, the better I'll get, but I don't know where to start.

Please help me. I'd really appreciate it.
  2. singachic

singachic New Member

Hey, its actually not that hard. songs are like a poem put to music right? so then write a poem, make one of your great songs (they are great right?) and there you go. and even if the lyrics don't make sense, who cares...as long as it sounds good!
  3. nalapolly

nalapolly New Member

Every time I try it comes out sounding like a poem I might have written in third grade.
  4. BlackHawk

BlackHawk New Member

Yes, I can totally sympathise with you. All too often, I want to communicate an idea through my music. The tune fits with the idea, but the lyrics either don't fit, or don't come. I want to get into writing lyrics, but I can't seem to get the right words to fit with my music.
  5. utopia

utopia New Member

Hi

I think there are two ways of getting lyrics.
    If you got the music first and you say that you got the melody line in your head, I do it like this… I play the song “repeat endlessly”… and sing along without break, even if I got no idea of what to sing… I start singing la la la, without concentrating on getting lyrics, just trying to get into the song, getting pictures and feelings what the song is about … repeating and repeating… the more I sing … the more the “la la la” gets into a mix with lyrics that just come out of my mouth like a …”la la la... don´t lie...la la". And after a while I got lyrics to the song, which usually fit. My experience is that the lyrics don´t come from your head, but from your heart....
    The second way, which I prefer, is to write lyrics first, mostly when I am in a really bad mood and really feel the urge expressing what I am feeling right then… it is much easier for me to find a melody to the lyrics, then find lyrics to a melody… because of the sound of the words... and the emphasis on some words...
    Well, I don´t know if this was helpful, it’s just the way I do it…

greez

utopia
  6. tuna74

tuna74 New Member

either when im mad...:hit: or when im glad:) , it dont matta, lyrics flow... every once in a while i'll get bored and start makin some lyrics, some good, some bad... But at least i try.
  7. asensayuma

asensayuma New Member

Don't mix your points of view. If you're writing about "him/her" as in "My baby done left me this dis mornin'", then don't suddenly switch to "you" as in "When you gonna come back?
  8. thaplaygyrl

thaplaygyrl New Member

i used to write lyrics. juss write about how u feel (kinda like a poem). or keep playin tha beat over n over til it gets stuck n your head. sooner or later words always come
  9. joanek

joanek New Member

you could try...

You could try relaxing with some incense and listening to a few instrumental tracks. That always helps me when I want to write.
  10. timw

timw New Member

Sometimes when I'm stuck, and i'll admit this is kind of a cheesy move which doesn't always work, but i'll write some lyrics around the melody of another song (by someone else) and then either contort the phrasing around an existing melody of my own or write something new altogether. I don't know if that helps. Probably the best suggestion is to analyse what about other songs makes you cringe and then avoid doing that yourself. Eventually you'll be embarrassed by what you write anyway so it really doesn't matter in the long run.
  11. st975

st975 New Member

It always sounds good if you make the important words and syllables fall on the higher notes in the melody, and make sure the weaker syllables don't get accented, otherwise it sounds stilted.
  12. Dechipher

Dechipher New Member

I often try to write aobut different thigns to expand my horizens and think differently. As in, I was tinking the other day, most people write about the beauty of nature. I'll take the opposite view.
  13. leesie_maree

leesie_maree New Member

Just an idea..
    If you've got a melody or a tune going through your head (you'll have to excuse me, i'm not real up on the technical muso lingo) why not thinik of the feeling it envokes in you. start of with one word that describes that feeling like Hate = pain. then use it in a sentance that describes why, or how, or what it does to you, e.g. swallows me whole. the best songs are always great coz they have so much feeling and you can hear it in the singers voice. the easiest way to get that is to write something close to your heart. It doesn't always come out right or easily. sometimes if you just sit and write and write without analysing what is on the paper, you'll find something that u didn't know you had in you.

Hope that helps
  14. LP_rox_5379

LP_rox_5379 New Member

yeah, basically, to start you off, you should think of what you want to write about, don't worry about rhyming and rhythm at the beginning. words will come once you've thought what you want the song to be about. usually its easy to hear what the song is about even without lyrics, just listen for whether its loud, agressive and angry, or soft and sweet, something like that.

from there just take it slowly, relax, and then write stuff down - still not worrying about the tune, rhythm or rhyme (if you want rhyme - it doesn't have to rhyme). Once you've got quite a collection of sentences/phrases, try to link them together and once you've done that you can make it fit the song.
  15. ibis119

ibis119 New Member

Yo, I write hip hop but its all the same Right? Lyrics.

You have a lert and right side to your brain.
    A creative side for lyric writing,
    An analytical, logical side for working on the pc and learning new
    technical skills.

Beat making on the PC can be either.......
    it depends if you have learn't all you need to know to make a beat
    or..... if you are learning still as you go along and still thinking with the logical side of the brain.

lyrics is always the creative side Anywayz......
    you can't be the best you can be if you are mixing up the mode that your brain is in, so mark out days even weeks so you can be creative one week and logical the next.
    Thats why the pro's usually have a separate producer, songwriter, vocalist, mix engineer etc. They all use different parts of the brain.

Nearly every thing you do on a PC uses large amounts of your logical intelligence.
  16. decadan

decadan New Member

If you're serious about your music then you should trake an honest approach to your lyrics. The truth is, most people aren't good poets, and most can't write great lyrics. I would suggest partnering with someone who does have a gift for the written word. A collaborative effort would give you the best bang for your buck, and more importantly, a quality end-product.
  17. fwhone

fwhone New Member

Zen lyrics?

Iknow this may sound a little too Zen but try this when trying to write lyrics.
    First relax...no I mean relax!
    Remember that music is nothing more that non verbal poety, it happens from the heart not the head...same is true with lyrics.
    Enjoy what you're writing and listen....the same emotions that let you write the music can tell you what to say. Don't be critical of what words you choose...no matter what they are they are the right ones.
    Someday you'll go back and read some lyrics that you wrote and you will be amazed at the person you are.
  18. el3afreet

el3afreet New Member

i think writing lyrics is all a matter of feelings, and one day you will find someone who will understand your words.
  19. electrickiwi

electrickiwi New Member

sorry if anyone's already said anything similar to what i'm gonna say.

i write myself too, and i've found the best way for writing lyrics and melody is to write the lyrics first, just whatever you're feeling at the moment. you can always change them a little afterwards to make them rhyme or whatever but to me, songs should put emotion first before technicality. i wrote a song in tears once, and haven't changed a thing about it because i think it is more emotional keeping it the way it was when it was written - i even started crying when i was singing it to the acoustic guitar my friend was playing!! just write what comes into your mind and as long as you truly mean what you're writing/singing, people will appreciate the honesty.