To play Midi files, what are the drivers needed?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by tewem, Jun 16, 2002.

1. tewem

tewem New Member

May I know what drivers are needed in order the midi files are able to play as I have the midi files but unable to play them.
    :confused:

Can anyone who know, pls reply.
  2. letsgroove

letsgroove New Member

do you have Cakewalk? That's all
  3. ClrwaterFL

ClrwaterFL New Member

I've had the same problem with midis. I've got Cakewalk Sonar 1.0 and 2.0 and none of the midi files will play in Cakewalk or Winamp or Windows Media Player. All other sound files play. Anyone know what's wrong?
  4. jtshinn

jtshinn New Member

Sound card?

I didn't think a driver was necessary - does your sound card support midi reproduction? You have to have a midi sound table because (as you probably know) a midi file's not actually music, it's sequencer instructions.
  5. tequila_sunrise

tequila_sunrise New Member

i know that problem i had a soundblaster 128 and midi was shit and now i have a SB Live 5.1 and midi rulezzz ::):
  6. Trav4207

Trav4207 New Member

my midi's play right on windows media, winamp, quicktime, they should have those upgrades (decoders) on their websites if they're not installed already.
  7. cdodd

cdodd New Member

You should be able to play midi files with winamp or the current version of windows media player.
    You may want to decide what program you want to use most and go into File Option and make sure that program is associated with mid extensions.
  8. we6replay

we6replay New Member

9. Gandalf

Gandalf MIDI Sorcerer

You don't need drivers for MIDI as such. Although you do for your MPU-401 on the sound card (if it has that feature).

Go to Control Panel and then Sound and Multimedia. You should find a section on MIDI music output/playback.

You may have a selection of options for MIDI output:-

1. Microsoft MIDI-mapper (FM synthesizer)
    2. Microsoft GS wavetable SW synth
    3. MPU-401
    4. Maybe one related to your sound card

The setting in Control Panel, is is the MIDI output option used by WinAmp and Windows RealPlayer.

If you have other software which supports MIDI playing, e.g. Cakewalk or vanBasco Karaoke player, you may find settings for the MIDI output device within that software.

Option 1. above was Microsofts first stab at providing software synthesis for MIDI files. It's naff.
    Option 2. above is their latest software effort. GS is a Roland Corp standard. It's acceptable for home use.
    Option 3. expects the MIDI output to go directly to a music keyboard or external synthesizer, ie, no software synthesis takes place. Quality is as good as your keyboard.
    Option 4. You may have synthesis on your sound card. Quality is as good as your sound card.

So, if you have a keyboard connected, select the MPU-401 option for your software.
    If not, select option 2 or 4 for your software.

If you select MPU-401 and you do not have a keyboard connected you won't hear anything. MPU-401 output does not go to your pc speakers. I'm expecting that this is your problem. Other than that, I don't know what the problem would be... volume maybe?.

Good luck.
  10. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

...check your volume settings, windows based computers have a specific volume/mute control for MIDI.... (Volume control interface - options - advanced controls... look for MIDI and make sure all is well)
  11. willi001

willi001 New Member

wow, some excellent advice...You guys (and gals) really come through for people....Thank you...