Tool: Eulogy

Discussion in 'Percussion' started by The JoZ, Mar 22, 2003.

1. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

Anyone who's heard the song would know that there is an introduction in which there are about 7-10 or so instruments being played at, or about the same time...(maybe that number's a bit high, but it's up there)

Well, we of my band want to cover the song. However, we can't really seem to figure out how it's possible for one man to switch between so many pieces that fast...

So, I'd like some guidance from an experienced drummer, or someone who may have played the song.

Is Danny doing all of the work himself? If so, how many instruments does he operate at once, and how? Are any of the sounds synthesized? If not, could they be?

Thanks
  2. kallisto

kallisto New Member

Is he using something like Kontackt by Native instruments. As in does he have live drums and midi too?
  3. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

Wow...I posted this four months ago..almost...

After this topic got no response, I went to the man himself. He emailed me back (that's right, Danny Carey emailed me) saying that he has a Simmons pad (don't remember the make offhand) that creates alot of the sounds heard in the background. He says that the clicking heard in the beginning is actually Adam playing past the bridge of the guitar, and the other weird sound is Maynard with a megaphone...
  4. DruMajor

DruMajor New Member

My school used this song in our drumline exhibition. We did a tool show using five keyboards, two guitars, a bass player, a drumset, and we used the best of our drumline.

anyway, for this song, the ticking noise in the intro is actually an effect you can do using the guitar. If you use a pick to strike the strings on the other side of the guitar's bridge. the guitar feedback noise, is just that. Unless you want to do what I had to do, and used a keyboard with pitch bend, and we also had guitar pedals rigged to my keyboard. It works either way. Then @ 1:27 of the song, the congas come in.

if that doesn't help...
    good luck
  5. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

'Precieate it, but I already found out how to play it...Danny emailed me a while back with info on it..

As it is, I'm arranging this song for an orchestra...with bass guitar. We'll probably just use a MIDI of the drum track, since we don't have access to all stuff, nor a player who can play it..*shrug*
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

What synth are you planning to use for the drums? Is your sound card SoundFont compatible?
  7. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

You lost me buddy...I honestly don't know how the drum track is going to be reproduced at this second though
  8. him

him New Member

Yeah Danny Carey rules, he uses a lot of triggered pads on loads of Tool songs
  9. The JoZ

The JoZ New Member

Why...in the blue hell are you posting in this thread nearly a year later?

I've already gotten the information I needed, long long ago