Track names

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by foolsfortune, May 24, 2004.

1. foolsfortune

foolsfortune New Member

VEry annoying to get a file with none of the track names listed. i.e. Track one - Synth......track 10 - Drums

Do people here gerneally make sure to include that info instead of all the crap in the track windows?
  2. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Well for free files I generally wouldn't complain... sometimes you will find amateur tracks that are close and need a bit of tweeking hear and there ...then sometimes you gotta' wonder about files that seem to be the Will Hung equivalent of midi "masters" :laugh2: Now if you pay for it and they are inaccurate or unorganised... that's different but I try not to look a gift horse... search HitTrax for pro files. ;) search bar located at the top.
    Last edited: May 24, 2004
  3. foolsfortune

foolsfortune New Member

No, I'm not complaining......I appreciate all the effort that goes into these. I'm just saying that I don't understand why one wouldn't include the names of the instruments rather than filling the space with their name and date and copyright blah blah that's all.
  4. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Oh! Understood. Yeah, I see that a lot. It seems to be just like that with every aspect of the web though... just take a look at all the badly designed websites out there they seem to outweigh the decent or better 100:1! :laugh: I take a great deal of pride in my work and it shows because I care and want to do the best I can with my abilities... with some it might be a number of reasons from ignorance to not caring to just not knowing what the fields are for as most of us have had no formal training with sequencing... eventually we hope they will get better at it... when I post I try to go in and edit files if I swiped it from another site and make all those little adjustments to better the file and make it easier for others to understand what's going on.
  5. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I'm guessing that it's one of several things (since I don't really know ;) ):

1. It is one way of assuring that anyone opening the file is aware of its origins. If you bury your author/sequencer information in a copyright or simple text message, some sequencing/playback software may not even display it to someone who opens the file. Almost all sequencing programs will at least display track names. I'm guessing this developed into an informal authorship standard in the early days of the internet and distribution of MIDI files.
    2. MIDI authors, like software developers, might be more concerned with functionality than documentation, since track names are arguably redundant (and potentially misleading) since a MIDI file must contain program change messages.
    3. It's kewl to see your name in the lights when you open up one of your sequences.
    4. Everyone else seemed to be doing it...
    5. Differences in the way different sequencing software programs read and display various types of MIDI text messages - possibly in non-standard ways.

Personally, I do a little of both lately. I put descriptive names on tracks that contain instrument data, and put my website, copyright, and contact info in unused track names (in addition to adding a copyright text message, since some players seem to read copyright info from there).

All that followed by my real answer: I dunno fersure. :)
  6. georg001

georg001 New Member

i add the tracknames to each midifile i create. i do not think that the other stuff like copyright is necessary.
  7. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi,

If you save your midifile as a MIDI format 0 type file, all tracknames will be lost:

Every track chunk can contain only one single track name (hFF h03).
    - In a midi format 1 type midi file, all tracks are stored in their own track chunk, and therefore all tracks can have their own track name.
    - In a midi format 0 type midi file, all tracks are stored in one big track chunk, so there's only one track name. In this case, the track name becomes the sequence name.

This could be a possible reason why some files do not have track names: you opened a format 0 type midi file (or a file converted from a format 0 midifile).

Kind regards,
    Alain Besseleer
    www.mididesign.be
  8. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I'm not very choosy when it comes to formatting, but I for one despise searching for artist/composer/copyright information if not in the track fields. I've found it as lyric and text data, the off-side info tags, and even in Sysx banks! I find the information in the track fields the very most friendly.
  9. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I always name the tracks and channels so that I know what instruments are where if I need to refere in a hurry. If it is logical and organised then it helps everybody.
  10. roxtaroxta

roxtaroxta New Member

ten is always drums
    you know that