trimmed midis/changed sound

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by nunyabiznaz, Jul 9, 2004.

1. nunyabiznaz

nunyabiznaz New Member

i used anvil studio to take some midis and trim them down to 30 seconds (for ringtones) and when i saved them they all sound different. how come.
  2. vinsanity

vinsanity $¢®ëWëзµÞ

theres a glitch in the newer versions of anvil that change the all the midi's instruments to a piano when you save it

what version do you have?
  3. nunyabiznaz

nunyabiznaz New Member

version 2004.05.01
  4. vinsanity

vinsanity $¢®ëWëзµÞ

5. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

May I suggest that you stop in at our affiliated forum http://cellphoneforums.net where you're likely to find many of the files you seek ALREADY suitably trimmed!
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I don't know much about Anvil or its bug, but this is something which could happen with any midi editor. Patch information (which tells the player what sound to use) is included within the midi file. Usually it's at the start, since the patch does not normally change throughout the song, but it can, so there could be a patch change message half-way through as well!!

The point is, if you edit out the patch change info, then any track you've done this to will default to the first patch number (normally a piano). From the previous paragraph, it's clear that this is most likel to happen if you start chopping off the front of a sequence.