Trouble Connecting Keyboard To PC

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by Reaver, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Reaver

Reaver New Member

Trouble Connecting Yamaha EZ-30 To PC

I hope you lovely people can help me out with this one as I'm completely lost with it now. I'll admit, I'm a newbie to keyboards so pleae excuse me if I mention something that makes me look a fool :rolleyes2

I'm trying to connect my Yamaha EZ-30 to my PC but my PC isn't seeing it at all. I'm using the most common of connections (according to my supplier) which is 2 midi connectors In/Out which connects to my soundcards joystick/midi port.
    I've downloaded the latest Song Filer v2 software from Yamaha and I've setup the Midi port settings to encorporate my soundcard and I get an error message when I click "Transmit" which says to check that the keyboardd is properly connected and the HOST SELECT is properly switched.
    As far as I've sussed out, my keyboard doesn't have a host select switch and I've been told it should connect up straight away with no problems :rolleyes2

I'm trying to connect to a pc running Windows XP Pro with a Hercules Digifire 7.1 Soundcard. I've installed the lastest drivers and the problem is still the same. I've also tried connecting to another pc with a Soundblaster live 1024 and I get the same error message that it can't connect.

Am I doing something wrong? I've even tried XG Gold and it'll play a midi file on my pc but as soon as I tell it to output out of the midi port, I lose the sound and the keyboard doesn't play anything so it's definitely a connectivity problem :flamemad:

Can someone please point me in the right direction? The keyboard works great as a standalone machine but I'd like to send some midi files to it so I can learn to play them.

Thanks for reading and I eagerly await your help :cool:
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. Reaver

Reaver New Member

All I want to do is be able to send midi files to my ez-30. I'm not really bothered in which way this is acheived as long as it's a cheap method. Is there any other ways that I can transfer a midi file to the keyboard?
  3. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

This may sound rather simplistic....but change the mid in plug and midi out plug around. You have to plug the midi in from you computer to the midi out of your keyboard and the midi out of your computer to the midi in of your keyboard. When I first started out, i had this problem. Try it out. If it doesn't work....I'll think of something else. :confused2
  4. Reaver

Reaver New Member

hehe, I did have the midi in to the in on the keyboard and the out to the out on the keyboard at first. It wasn't till I bought another lead that I read on the box that it has to be the other way around. Unfortunately though, it still doesn't work lol

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a UX16 cable as the Yamaha Support dude on the phone said that since the first lead I tried didn't work, it means my soundcard doesn't properly support midi via the port :eek: He said the next cheapest thing would be a USB connection and he recommended me the UX16. £44.99 though, I didn't want to pay that much just to transfer midi files but it's the only chance I've got of making it happen without paying out daft prices for stuff I don't really need.

But please, if you can think of anything else to try with my old lead, feel free to let me know as the guy at the music store said he would give me a full refund if the USB doesn't work :love:
  5. Shotgun

Shotgun New Member

Not sure if this will help but I had to download the Yamaha CBX driver from the Yamaha site for my psr740. set it up in your Multimedia/ Control Panel
    settings and it may help

I also use the To Host cable from my laptop to the keyboard, instead of a midi interface Cable cost about 30 Canadian dollars

hope it helps some

Shotgun :p
  6. IT_Helper

IT_Helper New Member

After 8 painful hours

I finally managed to connect my PSR-280 to my HP laptop.
    Issue was mainly Logitech drivers interfering with USB cable drivers.
    I have a no-name cheap USB-MIDI cable from China & on 1st try I got absolutely no connection whatsoever.
    After a whole day of Googling I found the following web page.

http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/XP-Dual-Core-USB-MIDI-problem-ftopict512526.html

Go right to the bottom of the page because it's the last entry that you have to follow.

Basically you have to delete a registry setting so be careful, very careful.
    Please backup the registry setting by exporting the specific area you are about to delete. If you do delete it & find your sound has gone don't worry. I re-installed the sound drivers (soundmax in my case) & the registry entries were re-created automatically. After a reboot everything was fine. That worked for me but you may want to take a little more care. I unfortunately can't help if you break your computer.
    I've been in IT for 20 years & know what I'm doing to the most part. In fact mostly know how to put things right if I screw up, but I digress from the issue.

This positive result was confirmed using Quartz Audiomaster Freeware (check www.download.com or other download site).
    Software picked up MIDI in & out & I nearly wet myself when I could finally play back through my PSR & play over & record my efforts.
    Now the hard works begins :)

I also installed a new set of drivers for my sound card & downloaded M4U-v1_0b.zip, msd550.exe & um222xp2.zip but I don't think they had anything to do with the resolution. I know drivers & registries well enough to know what it takes to beat these problems into submission. They may help if you Google & download if the registry hack fails.

The basic concept behind the fix, I believe, is to erase the registry key in order to allow the USB MIDI driver to install correctly, without interference, & then layer all associated registry entries on top of this.
    Make sure you unplug any webcams or USB microphones before doing anything. Clearing yourself a level playing field helps a lot, always.

Hope this helps as it has helped me.

PS. Ignore everything but 'CurrentControlSet'. The others are legacy entries.