Type 0 and Type 1?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by luclaf, Mar 12, 2003.

1. luclaf

luclaf New Member

could anyone explain how to convert a type 0 midi file to a type 1? thanks!:confused2
  2. djlaner76

djlaner76 New Member

i dont understand, i new to this n im unsure on what the differences are betweeb these? pls tell me

cheers

Ry
  3. MillwallBadBoy

MillwallBadBoy Bad Boy Karaoke

I found a little program that converts midi types, just run a search on google by putting in "Midi type converter" and see what comes up, if not, I will gladly send you the converter
  4. sheffers

sheffers New Member

Generally speaking, go with Type 1 whenever possible.
    Type 0 works fine though; it simply throws all the channels together on one track. Output should be the same.

One place where this might make a big difference is when you you want to keep seperate tracks of data that play on the same MIDI channel, like drums, for example. Some folks maintain a separate track for each drum. (On some sequencers, it makes it easy to tweak.)
  5. seacruzinal

seacruzinal New Member

Hey Sarr, I'm glad you spoke out, cuz I'm sitting here arguing with myself as to which is which. As I understand it, you can convert type 1 to 0, but you can't go back to 1 FROM 0. Confusing, maybe, but I learned that while trying to split out drum tracks on some type 0 sequences that actually started out as type 1. AAAAAgh!~ someone ELSE help!
  6. sheffers

sheffers New Member

Hey Sea Cruisin' Al,
    What you can "convert" is likely determined by the flexibility of your sequencing application.
    Some programs can open either type but can only "save as" Type 1, or type 0, for example. Some programs work in their naitve, usually proprietary, format and have the ability to "export" as a MIDI Type 0, 1 (or the more rare Type 2.)
    I've seen software that allows for the exraction of a merged track to separated tracks, each on their own channel (Type 1), and I've encountered some programs with ability to "explode" the drum track into separate tracks for each note 3 (or drum) being used.

Actually, most decent editors allow you to accomplish these things one way or another.

For playback only, i'm very impressed with vanBasco's Karaoke Player. It opens any MIDI type file you throw at it, separates each channel on to its own track, allows for easy on-the-fly operations including an instant key change slider, a feature that some of the biggest programs out there don't have. :confused:

Maybe we should start a separate thread asking for opinions on the best freeware MIDI editors out there...

Best of Luck! :bye:
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2003