Universal System Exclusive and Global Parameter Control

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by technical2654, Sep 17, 2014.

1. technical2654

technical2654 New Member

I'm using Cubase Elements 7 to control a Roland XV3020 synth module to create MIDI files. I've graduated to trying out GM Level 2 and I want to know how to use Universal System Exclusive and Global Parameter Control messages to get better sounds.

Is Universal Sys Ex not manufacturer specific? The term is ambiguous and the manuals don't help. The GPC sys ex strings I create in Cubase don't affect the parameters in the Roland. Can anyone give me a basic guide to GM Level 2 as relates to these things? I've found nothing elsewhere apart from the GM2 specs in Wikipedia.
  2. mikemuso1961

mikemuso1961 New Member

I use a XV 5050, with Sonar. The sysex data for each message type is listed under midi section at the back of the units user manual. Sysex won't get you better sounds per se....it will tell your module what mode/bank to be in, for example, GM, GS, GM1, GM2, etc....so once you've established which of the modes give you access to the best sounding patches, that's the one you need to select with a sysex message. Not sure if your XV 3020 has a "Performance" mode, but if it does, this mode offers by far the best quality patches. Hope this helps you....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk