Usb 2.0 midi controller

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by martynjking, Mar 29, 2004.

1. martynjking

martynjking New Member

Does anyone one know of a midi controller, that uses usb 2 yet?

my usb ports are dieing slowly due to having to much power drawn out of them, i've upgraded the psu, but i think they are just falling apart now lol
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

If you are overloading the USB ports, through drawing too much power, what makes you think things are going to be any better by going to USB2?

Seems to me, you should be looking at using an external power supply for the devices you already have.
  3. nubble

nubble New Member

Doesnt USB 2 just have a bigger bandwidth compared to USB1?
  4. Zandro

Zandro New Member

USB 2.0 has a transfer rate at 480 Mbps, which is 40 times faster than USB 1.1.
  5. bobbybanjo

bobbybanjo New Member

i don't see any gain in going to usb for midi controllers - its like people who buy 3.0ghz PC's just to use MS Word - it's not goin to make you type any faster!

i have a tascam us428 which is usb 1, it uses its own external PSU and works as an audio i/o card and midi control surface and it keeps me fine.
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I take the point, but it's getting harder to buy a lower clocked PC these days - the cost of technological advance :) . To be fair, many here are pushing their PC's to the limit though - I know I am - and need all the provessing power they can get.

That said, I don't really understand why anyone would particularly favour USB over a bog-standard midi port.

I have a Yamaha 01X, currently sitting in its cardboard box. This uses, what Yamaha like to term, mLAN - which is essentially a Firewire connection. It's going to be an interesting few days when I finally take the plunge and install it. I suspect there will be a fair amount of hair-pulling and blue air around here.