USB vs Firewire

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by clubV2, Dec 2, 2003.

1. tootith

tootith New Member

I think firewire is more reliable as well, but I'd recommend something like the Echo Layla24 with Cardbus (newer pcmcia) interface. 8 inputs, nice, clean audio. Very stable on my IBM 800mhz laptop. A bit pricey, though.
  2. eldridge

eldridge New Member

In my studio setup, we're using a Mac G4 with firewire and a PC with firewire and USB2.0

To be honest, they both work very well. It just depends what you're trying to do with it.

Personally, I like firewire more. Better constant rate and that's what you want with video editing or music recording.
  3. geckormf

geckormf New Member

I'd recommend going for FW - I use the MOTU828MKII as well as the 896HD on both PC and Mac, and have had no problems with drivers - you just got to get the latest versions. I found that with USB, since there are so many more external units requiring bandwidth (mouse, KB, controllers, etc) you run out of bw quite fast. Use USB2 for controllers and FW for your card - no problems.
  4. lovehermadly

lovehermadly New Member

Firewire is the future, and even at it's early stages is already very compatible and up-to-par with usb for audio visual apps. Basically, if your computer supports it, use it. If not USB is still mroe then adequate for any applications up to date. Eventually though, firewire will be the standard.
  5. EdSpess

EdSpess New Member

After using PCI audio cards for a few years, I've just got hold of a USB Midi Controller/Audio interface (Novation ReMOTE 25 Audio). Had my PC supported Firewire I'd probably have gone for a FW interface as they all seem to support more channels and higher sampling rates (192k/24 or 32 bit,) most of the USB interfaces I've seen are limited to 48k/24-bit stereo but, for my needs this is more than adequate and the price difference makes USB the more appealing option.

For less than £100 you can get a decent USB audio interface with pretty low latency ASIO support. Can't really go wrong.

I'll see how it shapes up in practice but IMHO it all comes down to price and features.

Ed.
  6. taff

taff New Member

Just one point of note in the debate usb2 V fw.
    If your motherboard has via chipsets - BEWARE usb.
    Windows XP SP2 in combination with via chipsets causes untold problems with usb.
    Always go with fw if using via chipsets.