Volume and Tracks...

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by -Mm-, Oct 5, 2002.

1. -Mm-

-Mm- New Member

I seem to have a problem with instruments not staying the volume i set them to...For example, i'll have a guitar on track 3 and set the volume to 90, and then play it back and it sounds like it's 127, i know its louder than i set it because when you play the track and type in 90 while it's playing then it goes to that volume, but when you stop it and play it again, it goes louder again...
    ????
    It's really starting to piss me off!! :flamemad:

any ideas?

If it helps i have a Roland Canvas SC-55st, and i use Cakewalk 9
    Thanks...
  2. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

Do you normalize sequence parameters before saving?

This converts the volume you have just entered to the right channel

i.e. the guitar is on track 3, so the volume change needs to be on track 3 aswell.
  3. -Mm-

-Mm- New Member

"Do you normalize sequence parameters before saving?" ...i don't normalize anything. In fact, i don't even know where the sequence parameters are! :p
  4. voice of god

yeah, before saving. go, edit(dropdown) select all. then file(dropdown) normalize sequence parameters.

Mm I think you and I are talking 2 different languages (cakewalk and Logic)
  5. -Mm-

-Mm- New Member

lol..yes i think we are, Normalize sequence parameters isn't there :p
  6. voice of god

Try this- when you enter in the volume level. It should have a number under the channel column(look at top af the window for ch. or channel no.). Make sure that this number is the same number as all the other notes and controls in that channel. If it is not, change it so all nos. in the channel no. column are the same. This is all that normalize sequence parameters does.
  7. midiaxe

midiaxe New Member

There could be a volume change control message somewhere in your guitar track (I think it's CC7). In Cakewalk, go to Event List of the guitar track and look for volume control change message (I think it's colored green). Delete the volume control change message/s and see if it fixes the problem. Make sure that you make a backup of your midi file before doing any changes. Hope this help...

-MX
  8. Zack

Zack New Member

I used to have problems with volume. But mine was neglecting to actually balance tracks so some stuff couldn't be heard! Yes always a good idea to save every 5 seconds because you don't know when your computer's gonna explode :p

Zack
  9. chriscc

chriscc New Member

for a live situation the balancing of midi file volume is a tedious task when using files from various sources.try keeping the drum vol and bass vol the same from track to track.got any ideas
  10. jessicag

jessicag New Member

I convert all my midi files to real sounds using sound fonts and record them as wave files to keep them all the same volums as my midi files are often all different volumes.