Volume in MIDI files

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by maynie202, May 14, 2003.

1. maynie202

maynie202 New Member

I use the MIDI files as ring tomes for my phone but they sound very low. How can I increase the volume of MIDI files so they will be louder on my phone. Someone please help?!
  2. midifromza

midifromza New Member

There are 2 ways to increase volume in midi files:

1. Using midi controller no. 7 - This affects the whole midi track - can also be used to make crescendos and decrescendos. a value of 0 for this controller is the lowest volume, and 127 full volume.

2. Using note on velocities. This would probably be the better way of sorting out volumes for cellphone ringtones - your sequencer software should be able to show you note velocities for each note - try increasing them to a value of 100 or more.
  3. maynie202

maynie202 New Member

Can you be more specific with adjusting the volume. I use Nokia PC Suite. Do I need a midi composer and if so which one. I am new with this stuff. I usually open a saved MIDI , change a few channels and then send it to the phone. Please help
  4. midifromza

midifromza New Member

You'll need some sort of midi editing software to adjust volumes - Try Cakewalk or Voyetra if you're gonna buy software, otherwise search the net for some shareware/freeware midi editors.

Different software will probably have different ways to adjust the note velocities - post here again once you've got youself a midi editor, let me know which one you have and I'll try to guide you through the process if I'm familiar with the particular editing software.

You could also try posting on the cellphone board here at midibuddy - there might be someone who's more familiar with sorting these things out for cellphone ringtones - all of my midi work is used for backing tracks for live gigs, I haven't tried using them for cellphone tones yet!
  5. Anubus

Anubus New Member

Any MIDI editing software will do(my personal reccomendation is Cakewalk because I haven't had as much luck with other sequencing programs.). They should have a shareware version to download, hopefully that will be all that you need.
    Open the file in Cakewalk, then click the Mixer button(default located in lower left-hand corner of the control panel.), or go into View and view it.
    Raise each volume to levels you feel are appropriate(I reccomend rasing them relative to one another to avoid a sloppier sound. This is most noteable in hip hop midi's where the drums track needs to be raised to the maximum.)

...I also assume you have your cell phone volume to a less-than-quiet setting...
  6. GhostlyImage

GhostlyImage New Member

hi ppl, I've got a SE T300 and if i was to increase the volume of the midi files and then transfer them to my phone, will this have any effect on the speakers?...in the long or short term?