Warning! Save Your Midi Files

Discussion in 'Computers' started by voice of god, Sep 5, 2002.

1. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

well if you run off raid 1 and if one of your hdds fail your screwed too!
  2. cake-raider

cake-raider New Member

ok touch wood but all i can say is i have 10 year old hard disks which work. thats why when you buy your computer make sure its not (check list)
    1. from a small store with a little chinese man in it
    2. golo bilo (pov stores here in aus)
    3. a no name brand pc. u know thoes dodgy pc shops
    4. a second hand one
    5. a mac in general :)
    6. one that hasnt been used as gun practise in texus
  3. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

actually I build my own computer so I know what goes in it so I can't blame anyone but myself if something goes wrong. BTW nothing has gone wrong because I'm still waiting except for the OS which i really have no control of.
  4. sonyman

sonyman New Member

I prevent crashes in several ways:

1. The SMART feature of my hard drive
    2. A backup image on another hard drive
    3. Backups of important files on DVD-RWs and CD-RWs.

-Scott
  5. GTO

GTO New Member

Redundant RAID

You can couple a promise ATA RAID controler and use 2 equal hard drives. The 2nd harddrive is a mirror image of the first. If one goes, you have the backup!
  6. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

but it's expensive to have one for mirroring purposes only
  7. GTO

GTO New Member

ATA RAID

It all depends on how much memory you want on your drives.

You can set up a good RAID configuration for both mirroring and speed for alot less then a SCSI RAID configuration.

Tom's hardware has a review of ATA raid cards ranging from less then $50 USD (perfect for common use) all the way up to $600 USD (for server use).

Check www.tomshardware.com for the card reviews.

A $50 card coupled with two ATA100 40 GB hard drives would run you less then $300 and be the ultimate backup. Being, the files are automaticly mirrored on the 2nd hard drive when they are saved/modified on the 1st.
  8. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Some good ideas here...
    Another idea ia to create a ZIP or RAR archive of you midi/kar files and store it somewhere safe.
    I do a weekly backup of my 14000 (some-odd) files, and copy it to another drive and to a CD. Small price to pay in time and CDs not to have to start your collection over again.
    I'd recommend RAR over zip - the compression is better overall and it seems to be able to handle large numbers of small files much better than zip.
  9. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

plus it's able to be split up into parts so they will fit on cds pefectly
  10. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

:: decides to close outlook and not look at email due to massive amounts of school work today ::
  11. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Good point King -
    Although JUST for midis - you probably won't need to split an archive for a CD...
    My RAR archive holds a total of nearly 20000 files (midis, Kar, lyrics, tabs, etc) and is just over 120MB (using high compression).

Now that's a different story if you're going to try to store 120MB on a bunch of floppies...
  12. dstruct2k

dstruct2k New Member

Forget RAR, go with ACE... The newest version of ACE just packed a 5.2 MB installation file for a game I've got into a 720kb archive. WinRar only made it 1.2 MB.
  13. Superman199

Superman199 New Member

Once I've downloaded the midi into my phone I delete it from the computer. Let it go man!!
  14. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

since you only download midis and never sequenced one you wouldn't know the amount of work that goes into sequencing a midi.
  15. naleca

naleca Trash Hunting

Cheers guys n gals

I have started saving all my midis (13,500) on to a re-writeable CD and I save them once a week as well as that I bought a small 3Gig HD put it in and copied all them on to it and then removed it again. Saving all your midis to CD is wise, being on this site lets you know how valuable your midis are.
  16. dvd

dvd New Member

using SMART feature on your HD's will slow your performance. But the best way is to get cdrws or another HD? Which harddrive do you have that crashed?(so i won't buy it hehe)

Sometimes haivng 2 HD is better than one, maybe you should get like a extra 30 gig HD.
  17. tthere10

tthere10 New Member

Sorry to hear you'd lost your work in progress. I recently plugged in a 21 page score and I got quite paranoid about saving it - it took 30 odd hours! Now it is uploaded to a site so I don't have to worry even if my house burns down - which isn't such a silly thought around these parts.

BYW - I am new and I read somewhere that you could have your midi files rated (somewhere around here)- I am fairly new at sequencing and would love some feedback on a couple of my midis.

T2
  18. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

yeah, just post the files you created in the Self-Sequenced section.

By the way, welcome to the boards:)
  19. GRAMMPS18

GRAMMPS18 New Member

i save i crash more puters than anyone you,v ever seen button pusher ya know, and the fact live with a puter nut never know when i come home if im reforemated or not get things so messed up i think im a puter nuts worst nightmare ehhehee
  20. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Sound Advice! :)

My hard drive bit the dust a few months ago good thing I always make backups!