wav to midi continued

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Betty_Boop, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Betty_Boop

Betty_Boop New Member

The thing people don't realize about Mp3 or wav to midi is that the original format on any CD is CD-DA format. Let me explain.

In this format the tracks that are record in a professional digital recording studio, from vocals to each separate instrument, are recorded on separate tracks. Once the songs are mixed professionally, they are mixed down and recorded onto only two single stereo tracks, Left and Right. This is the sound that comes through your home stereo, or car stereo or whatever. When you rip the tracks from a CD and convert it to Mp3 or wav, this does not change. The tracks are still two single stereo tracks. Therefore, when you try to convert from Mp3 or wav to midi you are getting a single track with all the instruments and even vocals coming out in jibberish, making the song sound like trash. It is impossible to find a computer program to recognize each instrument and put them into midi. It would take an absolute genious to come up with a program such as this. If and when this ever happens, I would like to be the first customer.

What I'm trying to say is that any midi will have to come from a lot of hours of hard work, taking each instrument at a time and programming/sequencing them as close to the song as possibe. Midi's are the work of individuals who love the challenge to program/sequence the song and have the absolute nack of doing so. I have the utmost respect for these people because I try very hard to sequence, but I'm not near as good as the pro's.
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Interesting theory, but it is flawed. CD-DA is no different from any RAW format after ripped to WAV, given no additional track information is saved along with it. The same errors will occur during translation with a mono rendition of polyphonic audio. I do agree with you, that WAV > MIDI is far from available. ;)
  3. Betty_Boop

Betty_Boop New Member

I agree that it is flawed, but my concept is that no matter what format the audio is presented in it will still remain as two stereo tracks. Point being, that people will keep searching for the answer to convert wav to midi, but because all the information is recorded on two tracks it would be impossible to get a program that will read all the information and convert to midi, that's all. It's been a question for years, wav to midi. Like I said, I'd love to see a genious program that can do that, life would certainly be a lot easier for everyone, agree?
  4. fidelio

fidelio New Member

Even if the audio is recorded on one single track, a mono wave file, for example, the so-called wave-To-Midi softwares still have a hell of a problem figuring out: types of instruments, chords, multi-notes... and the result will still be very disappointed more often than not.

Those softwares can only handle sound like this:

OLD-MC-DONALD-HAS-A-FARM-E-I-E-I-O

or:

ROW-ROW-ROW-YOUR-BOAT-GENTLY-DOWN-THE-STREAM...

When that music is played without any accompaniment of any sort.

When you buy softwares like Widi, or Intelliscore, no matter what version you want to upgrade to, be it 1.0 or 5.0, 6.0 there is absolutely no improvement at all in trying to "transcribe" audio files.

I'd rather think that some humans will be landed on Mars, or on some inhabited extra-solar planet before a successful Wave-To-Midi software can be created.

That tell something about discrepancies between a human brain (and ear) and a computer.
  5. Betty_Boop

Betty_Boop New Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!