What do you use for playing Midi Files??

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by SeeU 22, Sep 10, 2002.

1. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

All you need is a midi compatible controller. Most controllers use DMX lighting which is new to me. I use a lightronics controller with the appropriate dimmer packs. You can set up to 9 different lighting scenes, and 4 chase scenes. Controller 1 controls the fade rate from 1 scene to another, Controller 2 controls the speed of the chase scenes, Controller 50 controls which light scene is displayed, and Controller 60 controls the chase scene viewed. It's all pretty simple and cool. When I get to my laptop, I'll attach a midi file with the light scenes, vocal effects and guitar effects.
  2. gugius

gugius New Member

I use some nice GM Sound Fonts (20-100megs). They reproduce rather different overall sounding. So if you pick the right one, MIDI may sound no worse than the real thing! I also use SoftSynths Roland VSC-88 and Yamaha S-YXG50.
  3. kapilar

kapilar New Member

in a two men group (*ggg*) we use to play midi backings with the miditemp mp-44. it comes with an incredible remote control and holds as much files as you like (depends on the hd you plug in) have a lok at their website www.miditemp.de ( http://www.miditemp.de/english/index.html ).

sounds are played from the 64-voice roland mgs-64. its in gs standard and comes in 19" 1 HE.

kapi
  4. samsational

samsational New Member

I use Cubase or Sonar with the Kontakt VST and use various sound banks, output a mix with click on the left and music on the right and load it on my laptop and play it through WM
  5. jckillen

jckillen New Member

quicktime is about as high-tech as i get
  6. ramster

ramster New Member

Virtual SoundCanvas by Edirol. Just use it for playing midi's. It has a built in facility for assigning new patches as well as converting to Wav files. Bit pricey but excellent. You really need a meaty processor for it to work properly as well as a minimum of 256mb RAM, preferably 512.
  7. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Sonar is a great program that allows you to open/play midi files, but it also allows a huge amount of control over them, such as being able to mute tracks, and record new ones.

You can also do other neat thing like add effects, or record your voice.
  8. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I use Cubase for the sequencing output to a Roland JV880 module and/or use SampleTank within Cubase or Classic Keys by EMU for the Hammond B3 organ sound.
  9. pullmyfinga

pullmyfinga New Member

I've just ordered a MIDITEMP Multistation MSX www.miditemp.com - hopefully this will cure all my MIDI/Audio stage needs ..

Cost a pretty penny ... but the specs looks good.
  10. music_2000

music_2000 New Member

I use van basco for basic midi and karaoke playback. I create kar. files with a program called karakan and I sequence midi files on a free midi sequencer called jazz++
  11. Nigel Mulvey

Nigel Mulvey New Member

Hey Pullmyfinga has the msx arrived yet. Let me know how you are getting on with it, I am thinking of getting one myself.
  12. pullmyfinga

pullmyfinga New Member

Mate .. it's awesome .. it's really helped our stageshow to be more streamlined.

I'm happy to answer any questions .. drop me and email - brett (-@-) spectrumproductions.com.au

Hi from Victoria, Australia.
  13. ckhughes5

ckhughes5 New Member

Use Midig for playback, Jazz++ to make changes to the file (lower vocals, tempo, etc)