What instrument to use when sequencing a rock song?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by mapha, Mar 30, 2004.

1. mapha

mapha New Member

What instrument to use when sequencing a rock song?
    :D
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

What instruments would you expect to find in a rock band?

If you can answer the above question, then that's the answer to the original one as well.
  3. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I generally start with the bass line.... If you can;t find the exact sound you want in GM there're many other options... but I generally program it in a GM voice then see what I can do to alter that voice appropriately (layering other sounds, controller variations, etc)
  4. eye2eye

eye2eye New Member

I usually start with the drums or the first thing I can clearly hear. If your wondering what instruments to use, well just listen to the song and use what instruments you hear. I find its best to start with the simplest things first and move on to the harder ones
  5. cookman182

cookman182 New Member

Wok out whether you want a strong rythmic guitar sound or a soloing high pitched lead. Then create the bass line followed by the drum beat. Keep at it it will come together. Use common time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2004
  6. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I usually have the rough number of bars and put a click track or basic drum pattern down. Then put a bass line using the fretless or jazz bass for definition. I will then add strings or organ for filling. I tend to arrange some of my friend's songs as he plays guitar and writes lyrics. I hear the arrangements, so I get him to play the chords and get the length of the song. The rest is programming in and tweaking.
  7. JayPlayer

JayPlayer New Member

If you have a synthesizer guitar that's best...
  8. iroquail

iroquail New Member

Anyone gotten great midi guitar parts without using a synthesizer guitar?
  9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

:) Along with the saxophone, this is just about the hardest instrument to emulate accurately.

IME, using a synth guitar doesn't really help that much. It obviously makes it simpler where bends, etc. are involved, but the problem largely lies in the sound engines. There are few around which will produce a very convincing guitar - certainly when it gets towards the rock and metal end of the spectrum.

Personally and since I play guitar anyway, I don't bother. I simply record any guitar parts as audio.