What is the best hardware for inputting MIDI?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by palumbor, Nov 25, 2003.

1. palumbor

palumbor New Member

What does everyone think about the best hardware for inputting midi's? I am new to it and would like to learn a bit.
  2. frchung

frchung New Member

Best hardware, hmm that's very subjective.... As long as you are comfortable with it, that's the best.

I'm using cakewalk as sequencer, so to input the midi notes, I record "live" from the keyboard, then followed by a quantization. But for drums tracks, I use the piano roll mostly to "draw" the notes :)
  3. Ralon

Ralon New Member

I use Cakewalk now its cool and yeah its a good idea too use an actual keyboard to input midis using a midi cable to your computers joystick port
  4. Graeme

Graeme New Member

That's a bit of an odd question :) .

I suppose the simple answer has to be another question - what instrument do you play best? Whatever it is, use that.

Most instruments can be midi'ised (if that's a word). Obviously, if you play a keyboard instrument, you're more than half-way there, but you can use guitar (using pitch to midi conversion - not an exact science, but a lot of people seem to get away with it).

Alternatively, a guitarist might like to look at the Ztar - sort of guitar shaped keyboard instrument. Not cheap, but well worth every penny it costs.

You can get midi violins and wind instruments - in truth the world's your oyster.
  5. jamaicapepe

jamaicapepe New Member

try a midi interface!!!!
  6. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

Nice Idea

hehe, well I think you should point out that it cost $2,695 in 2001 dude lol

http://onstagemag.com/ar/performance_performance_tools_yamaha/index.htm

I would say Palumbor, if you're a bad-ass guitarist, then midi's wont make the sort of sound you need anyway! You might use midi drums, and use WAV files alongside for guitar and bass (possibility using a significantly cheaper octave pedal, as was used for the bass on "Seven Nation Army".)

But, basically, if you're like the rest of us, its a keyboard! Why?

1. Because the keystrokes are easily fed into a PC via a midi interface. No analogue to digital hasstle.

2. Because the midi format can exactly reproduce the things you do on a keyboard; there's no string-dampening, dive-bombing! Guitars sound great because they are good guitars!

3. Because you can get a midi controller for under £50 / $80!
  7. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Re: Nice Idea

Well, I did say they weren't cheap :) .

However, you can get one for under $2,000. In fact, the very basic model (the Mini-Z) is currently $1,595. Check out http://www.starrlabs.com/ for more details. I realise, on the face of it, this is still a lot of money - but it is less than you would pay for a top-of-the-line master keyboard from (say) Fatar and plenty of keyboard players aspire to something like that, so why shouldn't a guitarist?

As for the Ztar's versatility and usefulness, I can only say I have one and it's positively amazing what can be done with it. For the inputting of midi to a sequencer, the Ztar beats a pitch to midi guitar, hands down, anyday. It's also a wonderful 'live' instrument, with none of the tracking and glitching problems associated with midi guitar.

The real point is, if you are basically a guitar player, this instrument is much easier to get to grips with than a keyboard would be - although it is not a guitar and you wouldn't want to use it as such. If you want 'guitar things' then play the guitar instead.
  8. bnjiman80

Hmm, it does sound very nice Greame! I'm jealous now! :p
  9. joni11

joni11 New Member

how to input? why i cant make it? when i record the duration will be strange, help me please? thanks
  10. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Come on - give us a break. Explain your problem in plain English and someone will be able to help you, but we can't answer riddles.
  11. gallusmc

gallusmc New Member

well, you have to know, what you need and what you don't need e.g. how many inputs /outs
  12. bnjiman80

What hardware are you using?

How is it connected to your PC?

What software are you using?

Can't suggest anything without this info!