What is the best midi sequencer for the stage?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by gordon1, Sep 19, 2002.

1. mars

mars New Member

Gotta go with the MPC - 2000XL or 3000. Rock soild. Very reliable.
  2. seacruzinal

seacruzinal New Member

I started out with a simple old laptop utilizing DOS 3.1 and voyetra sequencer gold plus. It was very fast, and I just ran a midi out to my Roland XP-80. I have since 'graduated' to a more powerful laptop, and I use Cakewalk, send out through USB to a Roland SC8850 Sound Canvas. I get comments all the time from other professionals on the incredible sound of my sequences, so I will probably never change! I love all the banks and the variety this setup offers.
  3. iondubai

iondubai New Member

WHat is the best software to use to make these kinds of files ?? i know how to play a keyboard by ear but i dont know how to read music is there something for me ?:borg:
  4. nigeyd

nigeyd New Member

You need a midi sequencing package possibily with the option of audio recording..
    Very basic ones like Magix music studio start at around £20-30, but if you want more professional apps then think about Cakewalk Sonar or Cubasis at around £100-£150
  5. mikegant

mikegant New Member

I perform profesionally using midi. I connect my laptop to a roland sc-8820 sound canvas...because it all fits into a roadcase together (anything else is too high to fit into the case). It's powered by the laptop's USB cable... so all you have to do is run the outputs from the canvas straight into the mixing desk.
    It has all the great sounds you need, very compact. Email me if you like and i will email you a digital picture of my setup. It's the only way to go. All my midi's are edited with cubase on the laptop.
    Mike.
  6. axemanv90

axemanv90 New Member

Size and fit matters?

If you want a rack mount midi player, the Roland Sound Brush SB-55 is great if you have pre-made sets. I wouldn't get one if you take a lot of requests. Its discontinued, but they show up on eBay a lot.
  7. Nigel Mulvey

Nigel Mulvey New Member

I just bout a Sound Brush from e-bay but have problems with the single density disks. ie I can't finad any. I though I heard of a way to 'doctor' double density disks. Anyone know how?
  8. gldndeal

gldndeal New Member

i prefer a laptop, powertrax and a decent sound module.......
  9. alembic

alembic New Member

I use a Korg Triton live basically to fill in the parts where we have no band member (mainly drums and extra keyboards).
  10. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

Hi mate

I would like to say I agree with the guy who uses Powertrax and a seperate sound module.

I am pretty new to the sequencing game, but I'm sure you can pick up a sound module pretty cheaply to give you good quality midi sounds being sent from a laptop. I have a QY-100, which sounds good, although it does have its own built in sequencer which I don't utilize. Probably lower end modules have the same voice quality. I dont like editing tracks on tiny displays; with a laptop you can do all the hard work on a decent screen. I'm sure there are decent stand-alone bits of hardware, but they will set you back a fair bit for one with a comfortable display.

It seems to me having invested in a laptop you get the additional functionality of a desktop pc (minus gaming and being able to slap a good sound card in it). With a decent processor (>1.5ghz?) and RAM (512kb?) I don't see why you couldn't get a USB 2.0 compatible line-in so you could record your work to WAV files, and edit / burn them to CD, if you got really into it. Then on stage you could use recorded bass lines along with your midi drum pattens, say.

I'm sure having a kick-ass keyboard and dedicated modules would give better performance, but this method would probably be cost-effective considering you get large hasstle-free hard-disk recording potential with your laptop...

Secondly, using the windows platform gives you access to handy free sequencing utilities from the web, such as Drumflow, or pirated packages through KaZaa, if you feel so inclined. And using off-the-shelf software is handly because there will be more people using it, and hence more advice availible, than for specific outboard modules.
  11. redstorm

redstorm New Member

I use a laptop with an external powered mixer for channeling the laptop, my vocal mic, my guitar and an additional key which are all slaved together to a single sync (the laptop).
  12. redstorm

redstorm New Member

I forgot to mention, the keyboard thats getting run from the laptop is a yamaha.
  13. jnglboogie

jnglboogie New Member

Roland MC-50 MKII around 575 when they were new
    You could probably find one used for 3-400
  14. Laneisinsane

Laneisinsane New Member

15. jazzy_jay

jazzy_jay New Member

Roland-- Fantom S/Discover 5/va7
    Korg-- triton series/Karma/pa80
    Yamaha-- Motif ES/Pro9000/Tyros
    kurzweill-- K2600

These are some of the models worth takin a look at.
  16. kernscs

kernscs New Member

i use a two board setup: for performing i play on my weighted 88 key roland rd-700, and i use a 76 semi weighted korg triton to play sequences or, if possible, a second part at the same time (i.e. playing r&b with piano on one board and organ on the other). i have no clue how to use the triton's built in sequencer/sampler, but i usually do well enough using finale 2003 on the computer.

~curtis

p.s....jazzy jay, could you perhaps post a little more info on the fantom? it sounds like a great board and roland always has top notch timbres programmed in, but i've not had the chance as of yet to go play around with one at the music store.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  17. jazzy_jay

jazzy_jay New Member

well, kernscs I could go on for hours describing about how the "fantom S" sounds (it does sound good by the way :) ) but you won't have a clue about it unless you check it out for your self(much like talking about sex ;) ).

Some time back the sweetwater guys were running some workstation week / shootout or some thing of that sort.They had comparisons between all major workstations and yes they had also putup MP3's of all the workstations.

So perhaps you can visit www.sweetwater.com and listen to all the keyboard workstations for your self(they also have a comparison sheet, to compare all the features)

My personal choice would be a Motif ES for its sheer sound quality and the kind of features it offers but my second choice would definately be the Fantom S

I hope this info helps.

Regards,
    Jazzy Jay:)
  18. pullmyfinga

pullmyfinga New Member

I use an MC50MkII into a

- Roland U220
    - Roland TD7
    - Korg M3R
    - Peavy SP1 Sampler

I also use the MC50 to run two lighting controllers so we have a fully contained 28 Can light show.

The MC50 has a Click Out and it's very versitile. It has a performance mode built into the OS that you can setup your setlist and it will load in the songs as you go along, much quicker then doing it manually.

Only thing is, I miss the ability to not has fully digital audio tracks. We used to use a Fostex D160 to play our sequences back, but it doesn't give us any midi channels, so the light were synced off the MC50 anyways.

Is there anything that could match the above with audio and midi outputs on the one unit?.

Thanks,
    Brett.
  19. jazzy_jay

jazzy_jay New Member

Hi pullmyfinga,
    Me and my band are in a similar situation.Getting our midi and audio on the road was a bit difficult then what we were expecting.We had a few samplers in our rig so we decided to sample all our audio stuff.But larger audio samples made it totaly impractical for us to load our songs quickly and thats like asking for trouble in a live situation.Some one then suggested that we use a HDD recorder So we borrowed a VS880 for trial purpose(we could have used an MD player but we required a midi out for some of our other gear, besides I don't like Minidisc's sound quality any way).We recorded all our studio stuff on a stereo track in the recorders mastering mode.and we expected every thing to work out fine.But even with the VS880 we still had a problem in loading songs one after the other(it was faster than the samplers but not fast enough for our liking).So we decided to save all our tracks in a single song/project(saving all songs in a single project! so we only have to load just that project before we start our show) and used tempo change as required and dropped markers to locate the start of ever song.Its working for now but the whole process is some what clumsy.We are looking for something better.
    I guess we might be using a laptop with a good firewire audio drive or may be some thing else like a pro quality Mp3 player or basicaly a device the sounds good and can load songs quickly.Any suggestions??

Regards,
    Jay.
  20. Durden

Durden New Member

I have used the XP-50, XP-80, the Korg N-364 and currently the Roland Fantom.
    So far I think the Fantom is the best. Very easy to operate on all levels.
    Also found that alot of the workstations have problems when playing straight from the disk, even when I offset the clock, but the Fantom does me well.
    Didn't have to do a lot of internal mods to send the ins. to different outs either which is a bonus.
    The Korg I had was hell in that respect.