What is the best sound card around?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by the17709, Oct 24, 2003.

1. the17709

the17709 New Member

What is the best sound card around?
  2. Lee1985

Lee1985 New Member

i think its a terratec one cant remember the model no tho try their website, its quite a hefty size
  3. maximo

maximo New Member

I guess you cant go wrong with a decent soundblaster card! :D
  4. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Terratec or S/B Audigy or Platinum for serious recording. The key is the latency time in milliseconds (ms) anything lower than 7ms is excellent. Basically it is the time between playing a midi note on keyboard and the sound coming through the speakers.
  5. fitzmo

fitzmo New Member

Sound Blaster Audigy card has done very well by me. We do non-linear digital video and audio production work primarily for video / animation applications

mfitzgerald@mediamoire
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

This is not a question which can be answered that simply. Firstly, what sort of quality level are you looking for - especially where audio is concerned (midi is not important) and secondly, what sort of budget do you have. Are you looking for multi-input/output capabilites, etc., etc.

Essentially, there is no such thing as a 'best' card - much depends on all the above factors (and others) - you have to trade one thing against another to find something which will suit your personal needs which is within your budget.

If you want some general advice, then I'm happy to give you some. If your prime interest is in audio quality, then steer well clear of any of the Creative Labs products (SoundBlaster, Audigy, et al) - you can do a lot better for your money.
  7. ManE

ManE New Member

Terratec DMXfire 6 24/96, Very nice latency, 5.1 outputs, a nice frontal panel.
    If there's no content for center and rear, nothing goes there, Cds play on front only...
    CubaseSX worked for routing to those channels, MP3 also play on Woofer and rear but no center, obviously.
    Still some problems in Asio drivers.
    "Cooler" than Creative, went up to SB 5.1, and got fed up...:cool:
  8. non_prophet

non_prophet New Member

Just bought a sound blaster audigy and am suprised at the high quality. Especially love the "what you hear" feature which makes recording midi to wav a breeze.
  9. Komplex

Komplex New Member

for the price the m-audio 24/96 can't be beat. It blows the soundblaster cards out of the water.
  10. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

I like the Audigy card but recently upgraded to the Extigy and "Not happy Jan!" had probs with the drivers so I found an ASIO driver (generic) after installing it it has trashed the original installation. hmmmm back to the drawing board
  11. olly

olly Member

I have been using a Mia by Echo soundcard for recording audio and have been very happy with it! Mine is just an audio card but Ive heard the new ones now come with Midi as well...
  12. Zandro

Zandro New Member

? Most cards have been coupled with MIDI synthesisers for years. FM/YM MIDI chips on cards date back to 1983.
  13. frchung

frchung New Member

I got the USB Audigy2, and I was amazed by the recording and playback sound quality, which can go up to a true 24bits, 96KHz sampling rate.
    At the level of above 100dB for the S/N performance, it can easily rival those much more pricey audio cards. Our human ear can't detect the difference at those levels!

As for the generic ASIO driver mentioned above, I did try it too, but yep, I run into similar problems, the original creative softwares don't recognize the audio card.

Not everyone needs to be bothered by the latency thing, as it depends on what we use the sound card for.

Here's a site with stuffs and information for those USB audio freaks :
    http://www.usb-audio.com/
  14. Graeme

Graeme New Member

A lot depends on the ears :) . I can certainly tell the difference between an Audigy and my LynxOne - but I accept the Audigy is a lot cheaper.

To a certain extent, it is a law of diminishing returns. However, there are plenty of better cards around than the Audigy at much the same price.
  15. frchung

frchung New Member

Good to know you have golden ears! :)

I'm contemplating of getting the M Audio USB audiophile soon (it's out of stock currently here at the shop! ..can't wait...). I still believe in external devices for better performance compare to PCI cards, which are subjected to EMC interferences inside the PC environment.
  16. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I don't know that they are so much 'golden' as just well-trained. When you spend years of your life listening for a living, you start to know exactly what to listen for.

Depends. I have a LynxOne (internal converters) which knocks spots of my C-Port (external converters). The quality of the design has more to do with it than anything else, and that's where the money goes.
  17. zeubest

zeubest New Member

for the first quastion : "what is the best soundcard ?"
    I'm not shure that you can have an answer , the answer, for me would be : to do what ?

If one, and only one, card is better than all the others, it depends on your needs.
  18. emersonr

emersonr New Member

Creative E-MU Soundcard

Hi,

I need to upgrade my PC and I am considering purchasing one of the Creative E-MU soundcard series. I hope to use the system for:

- mixing
    - sampling
    - instrument simulation

Q. Do I need to get a top of the line Pentium with heaps of ram in order to operate the card ?(and do the tasks listed above) or is all of the processing done onboard the sound card.

Q2. I was thinking of purchasing the E_MU 1212. will that give me professional quality instrument simulation, sampling etc?
  19. merianne

merianne New Member

I use the Tascam FW-1884. It's a great soun card/control surface.