What MIDI hardware should I buy?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by norris108, Oct 26, 2003.

1. norris108

norris108 Member

I've currently only got a Diamond Monster Sound soundcard which does a good job for the money (£30).

I've also got an Evolution MK-249C USB MIDI keyboard/controller, which I can highly recommend. It is well made, and has a good feel to it, compared to other's I've tried which felt very cheap and flimsy. The keys are nicely weighted, and the layout of the buttons/sliders/knobs is good.

For sequencing I'm using Cakewalk Sonar. I've never used any other sequencers, as Sonar does everything I want it to do, and in my opinion, is easy to use.

I'm thinking of upgrading the good old soundcard to an external synth.

A friend of mine has a Korg Triton, and swears by it. I think it is a very good synth, but it's a bit out of my price range though :( so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

What's would you recommend? I've got around £500 to spend. Is this enough to get me a reasonable setup?

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. buckerine

buckerine New Member

Serious question: what's the point in buying midi hardware?
  3. phil@gaps

phil@gaps New Member

Serious answer : Because if people like him didnt make midi files, people like you wouldnt be able to get them!
  4. Hoce

Hoce Guest

Iuse a m audio quatro and sonar 2.2 xl and i can do anything with that
  5. djthaoboie

djthaoboie New Member

i have a keyboard on da bak it say midi how do i use it
  6. djthaoboie

djthaoboie New Member

if it helps my keyboard is a Casio
  7. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Since you already have a master keyboard, there seems little point in buying another one. Just go for a midi module in your price range.

Alternatively, consider a soundcard which understands soundfonts (ie Creative Labs) since there are many of these around and they will increase the range of sounds available to you.
  8. Zandro

Zandro New Member

If you need a high-quality custom-crafted GM SoundFont patch, you may contact me by private messaging.
  9. uatuba

uatuba New Member

Keep it simple.

Keep it simple. For quite a while, I stuck with the ole' point and click and simply played it back through an external synthesizer.
  10. chek1234

chek1234 New Member

lolz yes, thanx for making the midis...i appreciate it...plus i love making more of my own and serving them to the community!!!