what program do you use to compose MIDI ?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Eminem, Sep 4, 2004.

1. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I use Cubase3.7 or VST in the studio and Finale (was Amadeus) for importing midi and printing it out. It is very good for putting lyrics and guitar chords on as well.
  2. MattyJ

MattyJ New Member

Or you could be retro like me and use good old Midisoft Studio.....:p Hehe, just kidding...although I did start out on that. If you´re willing to pay, I suggest a Cakewalk program....
  3. Gafo

Gafo New Member

I try to use Fruity Loops but i don't know how to work with it.
  4. perfektstranjer

perfektstranjer New Member

i have been using master tracks pro, but recently bought logic express 7... is logic difficult to learn?
  5. dreday202

dreday202 New Member

midi illustrator's good, it lets you see the notes on the keyboard
  6. fragmare

fragmare New Member

I personally use Cakewalk Home Studio 2002. I like it pretty well. It's fairly easy to use, and it's packed full of options. If anybody knows how this stacks up to Pro Audio 9 version, post a comparison between the two.
  7. Martin A

Martin A New Member

Help in converting SNG to MIDI files

I bought the sequencer gold plus software and harware in the mid 1990's and thought it was a wonderful sequencer.
    Due to family and health reasons I had to stop doing music for the last several years. I am now getting back into music but I'm not very computer / internet literate
    I need to find someone who could convert SNG format to MIDI as I have six files I need to convert. Could you please suggest someone who would be kind enough to
    help......I could email the files to them for conversion......
    thanks,
    Martin
  8. adimz1992

adimz1992 New Member

I say FL studio is great for composing midis with its key roll
  9. emmyband

emmyband New Member

when i'm making midi first i'm using cakewalk 3 then for the final editing i'm switching to cakewalk 8.so cool,try them!
  10. makomako

makomako New Member

finale notepad 2008 is the one I use. before the 2008 vesion it didn't have the save in midi form. and It's free!!!!! but I would use garage band if it worked on a windows computer
  11. MidiNemo

MidiNemo New Member

Ableton Live,Reason 4.0 and Anvil Studio are what i use for MIDI.
  12. Sherry C

Sherry C New Member

Hi,

For getting reliable playback of the MIDI file together with readable sheet music, you can use Notation Composer. There's a free 30 day trial so you can try it out. www.notation.com/Download.htm

What got me excited about using it initially (and to be totally open and honest, I now work part-time for the company) is that you can graph controller data right on top of the score, so you can see what's going on right on top of the notes. It's really a hybrid between notation software (it does a great job of that, too) and a sequencer (because you have all the fine performance control that most notation software lacks).

You can save the file in a score format (.not) or export a .mid file for others to use in their favorite sequencer too :)

ttfn,
    Sherry
  13. Novetype73

Novetype73 New Member

what program do you use to compose MIDI

Let me know what anti virus protection software you use? I need some ideas so i can get the best avaiable for my new laptop.

Thanks in advance...
  14. makomako

makomako New Member

I use avg Free licence for an antivirus and spybot search and destroy for my ant-spyware, all of it is free.
  15. Aussiematey

Aussiematey New Member

I still use cakewalk Ver3. this is the version that came out to work with Windows 3.11. I still use it. Dont see no reason t change it at all. As it is, I only use a small percentage of what it is capable of doing. I know what the rest of you are thinking. "Mannn Upgrade".
    But it does everything I need. I use 6 channels on the desk for my midis. Separate bass Guitar, separate Kick and the other four are stereo Sound module SC-88pro and stereo TD-7 drum module. finding a laptop with Window 98SE to run it can be a chore to find. But they are still available
  16. MadBoy

MadBoy New Member

Being able to use VST plu-ins and synths in the new generation DAW's takes "backing tracks" to a new level... no midi sounds, real instrument sounds triggered by the midi track. Roland's Virtual Sound Canvas is loaded with all the patches from the SC88 and is available as a VSTi plug-in for any new generation DAW. Once you start moving away from midi sound, it all becomes a little clearer. Then start looking into the .mogg format...