what progz do u use to make these?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by Bruinsra1, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Bruinsra1

Bruinsra1 New Member

what progz do u use to make these? and does it require a music device or just a computer.
  2. Not So Famous

Not So Famous New Member

Usually it's just a program. But if you're advanced you can buy a keyboard that hooks up to the computer to make the music. Yuo can check download.com for some free midi software also.
  3. Phredd

Phredd New Member

For the basics . .

For the basics you just need a sound card and the software. As the above mentioned . .try download.com for some share and freeware. This can get you started pretty quickly. However, don't underestinate the power of sequencing and the MIDI specification . .it is really incredible . .just depends on what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

P.
  4. DarkSaiyaJin

DarkSaiyaJin New Member

Too many choices!!! Which progz are good?
  5. Glockerman

Glockerman New Member

When you make these with a program, how do you actually get the program to make the song? Is it something where you take a wave file and put it in the program, and the prog automatically converts it?
  6. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm a devotee of Noteworthy Composer. It's free from the Internet and you can type in notes by hand. Converting from wave files can be done, but the resuts are generally pretty poor.

Callum
  7. robo-guit

robo-guit New Member

Soft ware--TABLEDIT.COM

Hi--I just joined today, so am new to this site and where things go. I have never sequenced any MIDI, and would like to know how hard it is to create a fairly good acurate MIDI from a song you just hear.
    But I have been using Tabledit, and can turn the MIDI tracks/channels into a tab for a stringed instrument (with frets) that has made learning the song easier than I had ever experienced before. Maybe lots of you have a natural ear for music and don't need it, but not me.
    It has features for learning other instruments (banjo, mandolin, bass, etc.) and any tuning you want to input.
    It can also import ASCII tabs, but sometimes these need work, depending how the original tab has been entered.
    I have found it especially good fingerpicking songs.
    They have both PC and Mac versions, and have free demo/ viewer for download. Lastly, the files are tiny, only 5-10K at most usually. Bye for now.
  8. maddogg

maddogg New Member

Hello all,

I am new here, but not new to Midi...

I have tried them all (major sequencing packages) Sonal (cakewalk) Logic, Cubase...

I use Sonar almost exclusively.

It isnt as powerfull as some.. But it IS easy to use. Logical, consice, still powerfull.

Add plug-ins and its a great sequencer.

Problems:

Logic - Crashes too much, too difficult to just start writing or editing.

Cubase - see Logic.

Sonar - No VST instruments/effects unless you use a DirectX wrapper.

I know I will get flames for putting down the 2 most powerfull packages... but with that power brings complexity. And for most, its not needed. I consider myself a "power user" and do everything I "NEED" with Sonar XL - No I don't work for cakewalk, but I have used their sequencer since V5 in Win3.1 (the one BEFORE Win95... remember that one... me either :)

Thats my 2 bits worth...

Oh, another GREAT feature is if you have SonarXL2 and Reason... the Integrate nicely.

Mark
  9. cooling

cooling New Member

Hi!

I use the same Program like Callum. It's Noteworthy Composer. It's a very good program and it's free !
  10. fburke88

fburke88 New Member

Hi !
    I use iMac Flat Panel computer with sys 10.2 Jaguar. I am waiing to see what happens with Logic now that Apple has bought them out. I have a few idea's about what might happen....I still use Opcode's Vision on an older Mac & I love it, but as you probably know, Gibson bought them and did away with Opcode. Left me high & dry as far as any new upgrades or new technology. I have been sequencing since it came on the scene many years ago. I use Vision live also on a Mac laptop. I loved the way I can have about 100 songs in a list to call up whenever I want. Very easy & simple. I am looking for a sequencer that can give me this type of playback. Does anybody have an idea's ?
  11. midiaxe

midiaxe New Member

Bruinsra1,

Here is my setup:

I use a PC (a 166-Mhz processor, 128MB, 10 gig HD) for my midi sequencing. I run Windows 98SE using Cakewalk Pro Audio. For sound module, I use Roland XP-50 keyboard (it can play 16 midi tracks at a time). You can also use your PC's sound card as sound module instead of buying stand alone. My suggestion, get a software sequencer the meets your need. Hope this helps...

-MX
  12. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I use cubase and logic, cubase for midi, logic for audio, though the logic midi editor looks very good. I've never had cubase crash, i use the vst3.6 version. Those who are new to sequencing, read up on the proggys before you buy, find the one you like, and stick to it, it takes a while to learn note by note sequencing. or you could try 'jammer' or 'band in a box', they are a lot easier to use for beginners, and work on bars, not notes. you can get fairly good results with these.:)
  13. dstruct2k

dstruct2k New Member

Buy??? Did you say buy? lol I guess I'm not used to buying proggies (not to be confused with perogies :thumbsup: ) for MIDI. I use Cakewalk Pro Audio, and I have NEVER had a problem with it! It's easy, and after 5 mins of just looking at it, you can find exactly what you want and need. It has a note entry method and everything, even importing of WAV samples to include in more complex CWA files (sorry, no WAVs in MIDIs...) Anyone using anything else, :hit:! Hehehe naw I'm jk, never tried anything else, but Cakewalk works great for me!
  14. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

dstruct2k, you're not one of those people that download proggies and crack em are you, heaven forbid and mercy me, i thought that was only in fairy tales!!:jawdrop:
  15. jay27free

jay27free New Member

cubase is what i use