what skills are "must-haves" to get started making midis?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by deryk, May 17, 2003.

1. deryk

deryk New Member

i have a pretty good acquaintance with music. been singing, playing instruments, for the past few years, but just wanted to know what stuff a person really needs to know to get started with sequencing and all.

i'm looking to get some software and stuff, and wanted to know too if the learning curve's pretty much alright, or if i should just stick to appreciating other people's stuff. :)

thanks
  2. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

its easy!

helps if u play an instrument so u can figure out the notes of the song u r sequencing

u can download GOOd programs like Logic Audio, Cubase or Cakewalk for FREE off K@z@@

u just use your ear and your computer's mouse to sequence

and now u r here if u have any problems or want any tips etc just ask us

I think u can and should do it!
  3. ikkenenderik

ikkenenderik New Member

Most important is that you have a good ear for music I think. And offcourse a decent program like said above, but really, if you don't hear it, you don't hear it, simple as that!
  4. midifromza

midifromza New Member

Yup, all you really need is a good ear - you need to be able to listen to a song, and "hear" it one instrument at a time and then transcribe what you hear into a midi editor.
    Sometimes just getting a few bars right can take hours - so patience is also needed!!!
  5. Midi Doc

Midi Doc New Member

I think all the above but especially what midifromza said about being able to pick out single instruments at a time is one of the most important for me...patience is another thing... taking your time to get each section as good as poss then the magic of sequencing takes over and ya can copy and paste each section as many times as needed.

i got my first best results by taking an existing midi file then cutting it about elongating the track to suit how i wanted to play it in my duo. this helped by giving fairly quick results whilst "journeying" the learning curve. Soon you'll be writing from scratch.

:cool: