What software would be the best

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by twista22, Jan 14, 2004.

1. twista22

twista22 New Member

I just got a few programs for midis but I was wondering what is the best for midis
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Depends on lots of things. Mainly, you need to ask yourself what features you really need. Then find a few trial versions of the programs which meet your requirements.

Broadly speaking, at any given price level, the feature set will be much the same, no matter which software house it comes from. Only the interface tends to change, so use the one you feel most comfortable with.
  3. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

I have a number of programs myself and each have their pros and cons... it depends with me... and I just picked another that I haven't used yet... but Graeme is right with the trying them out for a trial period...
  4. soulful

soulful New Member

For a beginner it might be best to start with a no frills program, and then as your needs grow, you can upgrade to more advanced sequencers. There are some great sequencers out there, but a beginner might be overwhelmed.
  5. JeremiahX

JeremiahX New Member

I use digital performer on the mac. I have a cheap iMac that I use in my studio to do just midi. It's a great program and the digital audio up next to it is top notch also.

-j.x
  6. Meee

Meee New Member

wen i 1st started i used a program called "Evlolution Audio Lite" it was a Midi/Audio Sequencin program dats were i learned most of my info bout midi! its gd 2 start wit
  7. kaffene

kaffene New Member

Pretty much whatever you can get your hands on & learning how to use it. Everyone is different on the way their mind thinks. So what will be good to someone else wont suit you. How serious you are will depend on how hungry you want to do it.
    Myself, I still use cakewalk Ver3. Some of the others here may laugh at this. But it suits me. I still havent used 2/3rds of the pgrm.
    Ive been doin' it got about 10years now. What parts i do use make my midifiles sound great to me.regards kaffmate
  8. ehnoisnafita

ehnoisnafita New Member

fruityloops 4
    of course :)
  9. thombs2001

thombs2001 New Member

people anvil studio is the best program to use when editing midi files
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Anvil Studio is perhaps the easiest and cheapest program, but not the best by a longshot. Cakewalk and Cubase are packed with features and functions for professional MIDI recording/editing that you will never see in Anvil Studio.
  11. wastedspace

wastedspace New Member

There are a LOT of variables here. I'm a notation kind of guy...my music has to be read, so I stick to Sibelius. Some titles I've tried that work really well for me:

Notation based
    Sibelius 3, Finale 2004

Sequence based
    Cubase, Cakewalk, MIDIsoft Studio (I think they got bought by IDD a few years back.....it was my first sequencer...<tear>)

Good luck! TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!
  12. songer

songer New Member

power tracks 4ever hehehe :p
  13. salty dog

salty dog New Member

for a no-frills-hook-it-up-to-a-program-with-good-sounds type thing,i've had the easiest time with magix midi studio...it's usually under $100 (i got mine for 20 on sale at guitar center)...the only beef i have is the tracks load as one long block instead of looking like an actual sequence...of course,there's probably a way to fix it,but eh...

logic platinum,by the way,is (based on my bootleg version) the EXACT same program and probably costs twice as much,so avoid that one
  14. absolutsth

absolutsth New Member

i love cubase and anvil studio

cakewalk took too much getting used to
  15. Mr_Mo

Mr_Mo New Member

Anvil studio is good, but you may want to consider some better programs, that have more features.