what words....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by madtone, Mar 18, 2003.

1. madtone

madtone New Member

really wind you up????
    i hateeeeee........

Linkage
    Sandal
    Barbera
    Ducan
    hannah
    barnaby

with a vengence wot bout u guys?
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

The wierdest word in the English language..... Spatula..... say it out loud....... where does the "ch" come from?? Where is the basis in other words??
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I'm thinking it is the broad "U" sound after the hard consonant that makes the phantom "ch" sound. It's really Spa-tyoo-lah. When said quickly, "tyoo" becomes "choo". The word itself is of Latin origin, a diminutive of spatha (broadsword).

Similar words include flatulence, virtuoso, pituitary, etc. This "yoo" sound persists in some words, but is not a mandatory attribution (a pronunciation is possible without the "y", as in a long "oo", like in "cool"). "Pituitary" is an example of how the "y" on the "oo" is optional. Most people pronounce it pit-oo-i-tary, rather than pit-yoo-i-tary.

TMI. ;)
  4. ZelRiptha

Also, the sound can be heard in similar words with hard consonants other than "t", like nebular (neb-yoo-ler), glandular (gland-yoo-ler). Consequence of the vowel. Sorry, I'll stop now. :)

Isn't it interesting that most of what people think of as an accent is a consequence of vowel pronunciation? Is all this that I've said equally applicable in U.K. and Oz English as well? I think it may be....
  5. jeaniesing

I've always called it an accent as well.... you;ve no Idea how much time I spend training singers away from Donchoo (Don't you)
  6. ZelRiptha

Okay, I'll go.

I hate when folks use then when meaning than, and vice versa.

Another interesting (I know, what I call interesting puts most of you to sleep ;)) story:
    I was discussing this particular vexation with a Northern Belgian (who speaks Dutch), and discovered that in Dutch, the two words are the same (dan). So, perhaps needless to say, I didn't receive much sympathy from that quarter. :)
  7. ZelRiptha

Ho, Jeanie, then you might have a lot of these. :) What other enunciation difficulties do you deal with on a daily basis? C'mon, vent, Sug. It'll fee-e-e-l goo-o-o-d... ;)
  8. jeaniesing

Dropped T's..... sssssssnakey S's... popcorn P's..... H, the forgotten consonant... pop those B's BAHaybee.... It's Ah-Mayn in Latin dammit, I don't care if it looks like Ah-mehn.... :).... I could go on all day - but only the choral directors among us....
    :looks around.... sees an empty room:
    .....will be able to get behind me and cheer! :)
  9. ZelRiptha

*gets behind Jeanie and gooses her, then cheers as she yelps* :) ;) :p :p

Ah-mayn, Dearie!

Isn't it also somewhat true that much of what we think of as accent diminishes in singing?
  10. jeaniesing

:YELPS.... then turns around and tickles:

very much so..... although I use the "sing like young British children" line when I want them to enunciate more clearly..... that is, until I got a young British child..... her "t's" are more precise.... buT thaT's abouT iT! ;)

More from above... just how DO you sing 'AY' with your mouth closed... you really can hum with your jaw open... the music is NOT written on my forehead.... oh wait.... that's another topic.. ;)
  11. slaminsammie

slaminsammie jeaniesing faveblueturnip

thats a point its all screwy i hate have ing to learn it took me 5 year to learn i before e except after c and i still mess up
  12. Si

Si Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

You be too hard on yourself slamin - you could seek consolation in any of Flea's posts ;)
  13. Si

I agree with you guys. Accent has a lot to do with it. I have a bit of a Cornish accent but not too strong. When I visited Florida, the natives had great difficulty understanding me which really surprised me. Especially as I was able to understand their Southern drawl.
  14. dcd

dcd MB Tripper

My kids at school often ask me why we pronounce "do" and "go" differently...
  15. Si

and of course there's that ol' chestnut - scone or scone (scooone or scon)?
  16. Elven

Elven The Naked Elf

I hate it when my step dada leaves the r out of farther. It not futher! It farther! gha!
  17. TracyS831

TracyS831 Guest

Accents are funny though. I have a New Jersey accent. I say a lot of things funny. I draw my "a''s out like in Laugh and glass....Its pretty funny.. Now that I think about it the word Spatula is pretty funny lol
  18. ryeman

ryeman GREEN MACHINE

I hate when people say "ain't", that drives me nuts!
  19. ZelRiptha

Do us some Joisey tawk, Tracy!! ;)
  20. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

yea, its funny when Kevin Nealon and Adam Sandler do joisey tawk on SNL, its hilaahrious!