Whats Better?

Discussion in 'Karaoke Files' started by rupe, Oct 9, 2002.

1. rupe

rupe New Member

Is a MIDI file better sounding in general than a Karaoke file?
    Thanks for any info
  2. willi001

willi001 New Member

That all depends on what you are playing it on...I play midi files on my Korg Trinity and they sound like the actual song.On my computer they sound kind of cheesy!! just a bad sound card...So depending on the quality of the midi and what you are using determines the sound quality of the song...I haven't had much exposure to Karaoke files, I though they were just a stereo recreation of the song without words??....
  3. robv2

robv2 New Member

Midi files better then Karaoke files ?

Nope.

When you rename that .kar file to .mid you'll see it plays like any other midifile.
    The only difference is that one track in the midifile contains the synchronized text. (mostly track 2).

Therefore, it takes a handy man to take time to put this text sequence in one of these tracks in an original midi file, so anyone got time to spare? ;-)
  4. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

right on the nose, robv2 , a karaoke file is a midifile with the lyrics added, basically, it has the extension .kar so that karaoke players on your computer will recognize it as a midfile with words, not just a midifile
  5. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Different players recognize text on different tracks..... Mine reads track 4. The biggest problem being that the MIDI software (Cakewalk Express for a touch screen) partnered with that program doesn't carry the text over when you move tracks.... really annoying!
  6. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

is it the track or the channel that it reads, jeaniesing? If it is the channel, you could just change the channel number for the track... or maybe there's a default setting in preferences you could change.....i don't know anything about cakewalk, but hope this helps
  7. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Channel, yeah - you're right..... And changing the channel works in the standard cakewalk, just not in the 'express' version... just one of those glitches!
  8. justme

justme New Member

Midi files

Its quite easy to edit out the vocal line with a decent program.. I use Cakewalk.
  9. erezone

erezone New Member

I believe it's just the same...
    Ofcourse it depends on the engine that the program you're playing the midi.
    Like, when I play a MIDI file in Winamp, it sounds sometimes different from a file that I play in the Impulse Tracker (midi creation program) or something...
    Kinda bugging ...
  10. sugaryblue

sugaryblue New Member

it depends on how the midi is formatted.

Some of the midis are really good in quality but some of them just sound very (robotic).
  11. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Karaoke is definatley superior for my purposes and that's playing live. It's all too easy to start at the wrong time in any band and with a live band usually the band can keep going until the singer starts or re-gig what they're playing if the singer starts at the wrong time but with midi the keyboard track is set in gold. The great thing about karaoke files is that on my Yahama the lyrics come up on the small screen and boy does that keep me right sometimes.

Also I downloaded Robbie Williams Feel from here a few days ago. I hunted the net for the lyrics but couldn't find them so I now had 2 alternatives, download the mp3 or but the CD, but guess what, the version on the site is a karaoke file, lyrics came up on my keyboard, happy days!!:thumbsup:
  12. ravat

ravat New Member

are the midi file on this site to use with mobile phone?
  13. snblackout

snblackout New Member

I agree

I agree with sugaryblue.. very electronic sound on some of them. But haven't tried on a professional stereo system.
  14. Ronny

15. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

I've explained the difference between .mid and .kar files somewhere else on this forum. There is no difference in sound.

Text and lyrics meta events do not have a channel number. This means that, if you have inserted some lyrics in a file, the only way you can attach it to a certain track is to save your file as a format1 file. This way the lyric events are written in the track chunk (physically) of the specified track.

But if you save the file in format 0, then all data from all the tracks are stored in 1 big track chunk. All lyric data is inserted in that big chunk, but has no midi channel asigned. Therefore the midichannel of the lyric data is lost.

In cakewalk, they assume that the leadtrack is on midi channel 4, so if lyrics are found in a format 0 file, cakewalk will add them to the track with channel 4. This can be changed in the .ini file of Cakewalk (you have to do this manually, there's no user interface in Cakewalk to change this).

Kind regards,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be
  16. LaUrmel

LaUrmel New Member

Well, sorry, I´m another newbie...do i have to take care about anything when downloading a karaoke song? I need it for a show and i want to brun the song on a cd. Will there be difficulites or do i have to download a special programme? i am REALLY stupid with computers and i would be really thankful for any help. it is important! thx!
  17. JensonMusic

JensonMusic New Member

midiprog hit it right on the head. .kar and .mid are the exact same thing, interchangeable (almost). The only difference is .kar has text built in, usually on an early channel. if you're playing both through the same soundcard and hardware, they would sound exactly the same. MIDI is 100% dependent on the quality of the soundcard you use. If midi's come out sounding Nintendo-ish then you need to upgrade your soundcard (or add more realistic soundfonts in quicktime if you're a mac user).
  18. Ronny

You can't actually burn a midi onto cd mate. You have to record the song in real music then burn that. Unless you have a wicked sound card the results are poor. best way is to get a good keyboard and burn it from there. As to .kar or .mid there's no difference.