What's Happened to this place?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xj911, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xj911

xj911 We Todd ED Staff Member Moderator

It seems like yesterday when I first came here, looking for some midi's to use as ringers. I came for the midi's stayed for the fun! I thought it was a cool little community, and met some nice people, but lately it seems, it has become a spam forum. The small group of people that actually post something worth reading are hardly ever on, and the rest of the people just come, post 5 times (spam nonetheless) and then leave. Oh well, I still consider myself a noob around here, and I don't know how this place works really, but I don't think I'm going to spend as much time as I used to here because of that reason. No one's even said anything about my cool cell phone midi thread...:(

Sorry, just not the same around here.... :(

EDIT---Okay b4 this post gets locked I'm putting in the reason my feelings have changed. 1st off, 90% of the people who come just come for midi's plain and simple. I live with that fact, but the thing that has kept me here and that has made me want to help out is the people who have stayed. Everyone of the people you see frequent the boards, Jeaniesing, si, flea, Zel....all the way up to the admins, are all great people and make this a great community. Now I see that the system weeds out the spammers and leaves nothing but one of the best internet communities around.

Hat's off to you guys, you make this place great.

xj

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Honestly xj, I think everyone goes through periods of excitement and disenchantment with this board, myself included. You, yourself, have spent considerably less time in the chit-chat forum than you once did....
    perhaps there are others thinking similar thoughts with you in mind? A community requires people/personalities... its true. The nice thing is that the community renews itself through new members on a fairly regular basis... Its like sitting on a bench and watching folks go by.... some choose to pass without a word, some nod a greeting, and a few special few sit down on the bench for a good chat - even if they'll need to move on shortly. Although there are personalities that I miss seeing, I'm thankful for the board for what it is today... as well as what it was yesterday.

And on a side note? If I HAD a cell phone I'd be your cell phone thread's BEST customer... You know I would :) :kiss:
  3. xj911

Jeanie, you know just how to cheer me up! :D

Maybe I'll stick around...
  4. Si

Si Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

well, I can't add anything to Jeanie's eloquent words - she's spot on! I've laughed every day since I joined and I always look forward to read replies to some of my posts. Stick around XJ, you're a valuable member :)
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  5. Elven

Elven The Naked Elf

xj leaving? NOOOOOO! I so enjoy reading your posts. By the way. Kickin avatar.
  6. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

hmm has anyone noticed I haven't been posting as much as I used to. Well school work has something to do with it but it's mostly due to people not starting new interesting threads. The war zone seems to have it's ups and downs but I'm thinking it's about to die soon (we've basiclly ran out of things to do in there and we form alliances and if anyone has read the begining it's nowhere close to what it is today. I still remember when xayissa brought in the tank of his and artisan told him to get the tank out of the thread and to clean up the tread marks, then art made a mess on the clean floor.) well no new interesting threads mean posting less, plus I have my admin duties. BTW I think my post per month now is 200 or so, it was in the 1000s. Jeanie, si, and now elven are in the 600 range. There's definatly more work involved now than before since i'm an admin but i guess i would love to trade it in and basiclly be a reg member and post away but the 5PW and the TP (Tr@$hposters) really get on my nerves.
  7. jeaniesing

Ahhh King..... we all have our moods..... It seems to me that promoting a post whore IS the best way to drop their post count! You'll be back in your saddle again someday I bet - its all about mood.....
  8. naleca

naleca Trash Hunting

All the more reason for the mods to open a chat room that way it would make things more interesting to talk to someone there and then
  9. xj911

thanks for all the kind words, I'm just stressing over "real-life" issues and I'm venting here on the boards. How could I leave this great group of people? Craazeee!
  10. jeaniesing

Aren't we all enitled to a little temper-tantrum now and again? ;)..... (Will everyone please free up Wednesday the 26th for mine?..... Check back if that's not good for you..... I'm flexible)
  11. dcd

dcd MB Tripper

I agree with King and the workload that we have this time of the year where I am. That as well as the fact that the country is going to be attacked anytime. Nevertheless, this is the beessssst site ever and even if it means coming back after days, it still is great!
  12. Terry

Terry New Member

I'm not a mod or anything, but I have been active for about 6 months. My count keeps dropping as you keep removing older posts--but I am about to become a member of the name glow crew and looking forward to it.

I never came for the chat. Not that I don't find it fun and interesting and I do like the people. I'm just too busy for that. I came for the midi sharing. And originally it was GREAT!!! Now, since Nov 5th or so it had to change because our host, Hittrax, got after the board. So now, I'm rarely allowed to post my good new midi's, nor am I finding the board very helpful any more as a source for good new ones. And when I break down and BUY good ones as I did recently when I bought "Jenny From the Block" and "Underneath it All" I can't share them. I honestly find the board much more limited in it's value. I know it's not your fault. And you don;t want to get shut down. But I don't think I'm th only one who came for the midis and now finds there aren't enough good ones anymore to keep me more involved. Good Luck. I don't know how you solve the problem. And thanks to all of you who DO keep working so hard for the board. You truly ARE appreciated! THANK YOU!!! Terry
  13. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

Terry ... you should look a the MidiHub ... it's a great place ...

And like you I did not come here for the chat ... seems to take up some of my time now though ... we are a community and as such I hope we all stick together ... we can all learn ... share ... and grow with each other ...
  14. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

yeah terry PM theartisan about the midihub
  15. angie2010

angie2010 New Member

I read xj911's post, and it reminded me of how the way i felt when i first came here, i felt like a bit of an outsider in this tight knit community, and i felt too shy to post in some threads cos they seemed to be dominated by everyone who had hundreds and thousands of posts and mb cash, while i was only a newbie ( and still feel like one).
    So i restricted myself to posting in only minor threads, and tried to make all my posts useful or interesting or at least connected with the topic, cos i was scared of being criticised if i ever did make a trash post.
    I guess i just wanted to share this with you guys, i hope you don't mind... :( :eek:
  16. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

we won't join in a few of the more active threads because you are missing out on quite alot of things.
    We were all newbies at one point or another so we know how you feel. Well about the tr@$hpost issue is any post with good content or basiclly answers a question then it's not counted as one but random post and illegible posts or even just smilies are considered tr@$hposts
  17. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Angie, you're doing just fine. :)
    No one'll criticize you for joining in - feel free to crash the party in the War Zone if you like, or compose an ode, or tease Flea about his afwuul tpyinng. And if someone does criticize, they'll have me to reckon with... *swells up to full height and puffs chest out*

:D
  18. vondownsonfreid

vondownsonfreid New Member

What did you expect?

Before I even joined this board back in (November?) I was already disenchanted with the state of midi files on the internet.
    When I first started downloading sequences there was a literal smorgasboard of sites to visit (anyone remember KWEST?). Obviously the Harry Fox (devilspawn!) Agency issues have made a significant mark on the politics of midi files and the sharing of those files.
    I love that you can buy the files from whichever Pro-file site you want - whenever you want. But I hate that there is an oppressive force in place that makes the trading of non-catalogued files seem nasty .
    Cue the triumphant orchestral score....
    *strides across soapbox*
    When I stumbled across this board it gave me new hope that there was a place for all of us midiphiles to meet, greet and share.
    *still striding, but with fist in air*
    Banding together under one common cause. Establishing a bond so strong against the powers that be!

(Dramatic pause)

I still feel that way *tears fall from eyes*, I think in some way, deep down, we all do.

Seriously though, I don't think any of us has time to reply to every new thread or post on this board - I certainly can't spend that much time on the computer.
    I think what's happened to this board is that it has changed as the times have changed (let's face it, this does happen). I stop in, fill requests, make requests, join the occasional contest, and/or answer a newbie's question from another thread. I would hope that if everyone else does that little bit the board will keep going.
    But for us wayward folk who still like this place for what it is.....what it allows us to do - there is still something here to be proud of.
    This does not include all the hard work the Modz and Adminz do to keep this place up

Have faith, there are a lot worse things happening in the world today (SMG leaving Buffy the Vampire Slayer?! What is this world coming to?).

MIDIBuddy Boaard shall persevere!!!

downsie
  19. jeaniesing

Heh...... Ummmmmmmm... how does one follow that act??
  20. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Good question indeed...

*mimes being trapped in an invisible box*

With something better than this!! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.