whats the best midi interface

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by rknrne, Dec 5, 2002.

1. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

Any suggestions on what type of midi interface I can get for my laptop.I am currently using my buddies midi translatorPC but he wants it back. I've been searching ebay, but it's got me more confused than ever. I will only be using my laptop linked to jv1080 and maybe drum machine so I don't need much more than what i'm using now. Are there any cheap (inexpensive) alternatives to opcode or are they the standard? What about the new usb translators hooked to a serial adaptor? Has anyone tried this? Does it work well? Will it work w win95 on a 486?Thanks for this :confused2

Attached Files:

2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Does your laptop have a game port? If it does all you would need is a special cable to hook up your gear. It's usually around $30

I'm guessing the opcode one you have there is an LTP port? (old?) I would go with any of the newer USB interfaces if you don't have that game port.
  3. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

I got the midiman USB midisport 1x1. It was all I needed (one in and one out) but they do have other models. I would say midiman are the standard for interfaces.
  4. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

yes I have a gameport and printer port on my ibm thinkpad. It's that 'special cable' I guess I would need to track down. I saw a gameport to usb adapter but the end of cable was the usb 'male' end so I'm wondering if they made usb 'female' end that I could plug into say that 1x1 usb that was mentioned ? !!!!!!

I'm the one feeling backwards compatible here!!
  5. Jamie0322

Jamie0322 New Member

Midiman USB is the way to go on a PC if you have the USB available - might even want to go with a PCMCIA USB adapter to add the usb port - works on compaq pentium 133 laptop running win98
  6. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

thanks Jamie PCMCIA USB adapter to add the usb port sounds like a good plan. Time to start sufing.
  7. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

thanks also tavenger5 & Stilcrazy
    rknrne
  8. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

PCMCIA USB adapter to add the usb port ...... It appears the usb format will only work with win98 I'm not sure if my 486 can handle the upgrade from 95 to 98 and I am having trouble with direct cable connection dl (apparently I have the right cable but haven't been able to link together)from my main desktop puter, so would have to load with about a 1000 floppies or do something else (that's the mystery)
  9. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their help with this dilemma I was having, then I got a phone call from my friend who found one exactly as my picture I had posted. He had paid 200. smackers for his years ago and we scooped it up for 25 bucks CDN ( that's about 3 bucks US) They were blocking the door to make sure I wouldn't get away. Ahh the luxury of being obsolete!

anyway thanks again rknrne
  10. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I'm not familiar with your synth, but you can get a serial port adapter from Roland. I use a the same port when using my Yamaha MU90R. The roland website should have drivers on it for the older systems. If you need something like that and can't find it, just email my and I will send you the drivers I have. The trouble with some LPT port interfaces is that they have a tendency to drop notes or send funky patch changes. Don't know why. I use the serial port or a USB Sport interface for all my midi.
  11. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

thanks saxmidiman I noticed sometimes the intro counts are inconsistent and sometimes don't play which as I'm sure you can sympathise ,throws us off for the first couple of measures, so I'll try the adapter to see if there is a difference. Thanks for the tip.
  12. JeremiahX

JeremiahX New Member

I've got the MOTU Fastlane that I use on my iBook and iMac. I have also hooked it up to my Sony Laptop and it works great there too.

-Jeremiah X
  13. jmroussel3

jmroussel3 New Member

roland is great. I love roland
  14. jojo

jojo New Member

Check out this

Hi,

Its not the cheapest $150 US - its called SHOWPLAY. A program that runs from your laptop. Comes with the midi interface cables. Matches up your lyrics with the midi file - throw your book away. Plays set lists or random. Excellent program - even has a volume control to save every midi to a set master level. The interface cable plugs into my keyboard that plays the sounds etc. Check it out. Sorry I dont have a link - just search the web

Cheers:thumbsup:
  15. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

Re: Check out this

Thanks for this jojo
  16. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

wow .....SHOWPLAY....looks great ,,.......anyone use this thing??
  17. hiro

hiro New Member

try pocket express by motu
  18. lovehermadly

lovehermadly New Member

the gameport option works great. The cable is around 35 dollars and is game port D Shell on one end and midi in and out on the other.